TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that someone out there can help... My wife has a 1990 Cougar with the 3.8 engine and about 65K miles. We have owned the car since it was new. The head gaskets were replaced at about 50K miles (thanks Ford).

There seems to be a problem with either the oil pump or the oil pressure sending unit. The oil pressure gage will occasionally drop to 0 and the light will come on. It ususally goes off again in a minute. I have regularly changed the oil & filter so lack of oil is not the problem. I checked a "Haynes" service manual but there is no reference to the sending unit.

How can I determine if it is the sending unit, the gage or the oil pump? It looks ilke changing the pump would be a pain in the @%$, does anyone here have any experience with this?

Any help that anyone could offer will be appreciated.

Len

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would check the sending unit. I am not sure about the 3.8, but on my 5.0 it sits right above the oil filter housing. I managed to get mine off using conventional sockets, but you can buy the removal tool from Ford or rent one from Autozone maybe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, it is just above the oil pump. But to change it out you will have to move the powertearing bracket out of the way. Then there is more then enough room to work.

Jim

·
Registered
801 Posts
well i have a similar problem with mines.

my oil gauge is right before the N in Norm all the time, but when i bang my dash board the gauge goes all the way to the middle. any suggestions?????????

Marvin M.

·
Registered
607 Posts
loose connections on the back of the guage could cause a difference when you bang the dash. These guages aren't that accurate. You reconize a problem by seeing patterens where the guage is usually at.

Jim

·
Registered
801 Posts
ill take a look at the connections when i get my white gauges.

yes as soon as i get my white gauges ill take a look at the connections

thanks for the input
Marvin M.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bouncing oil pressure

mine jumped around eratically, new sender from autozone fixed it, borrow the tool to install it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts