TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought a used RH side PI cam from a '00 stang. It had a pressed on cam sprocket with six or seven holes in it. I went to my ford dealer to get the LH side cam and after receiving it and opening it, I was freaked out. The sprocket on the new one is pressed on, but solid...no holes in it. We looked up the cam I had and found the left side one and thats what I got. I'm letting the machine shop tell me if this will work or not. Do you see any potential problems with having different cam sprockets on each side? Thanks
-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure it's ok. I got mine out of a 2002 GT (if I remember right...) and one definately had holes in the sproket and the other did not. I think it's just so you can tell which cam matches each head because they all need to align right and it would be easy to confuse if they did not have some sort of obvious distinction.

Pete

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
The holes are so its easier for the assembly line workers to tell which is which.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Isn't it also for the cam position sensor.

If you'll notice the solid sprocket has a little tab on it for the trigger for the cam position sensor. So it has to be different than the other bank sprocket.

I'm pretty sure a sprocket with holes in it would probably throw off the sensor.

Just my .02. :D

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Isn't it also for the cam position sensor.

If you'll notice the solid sprocket has a little tab on it for the trigger for the cam position sensor. So it has to be different than the other bank sprocket.

I'm pretty sure a sprocket with holes in it would probably throw off the sensor.

Just my .02. :D
Well the solid one is the normal one.. you can get cams with

1. 2 solid sprockets
2. 1 solid sprocket and 1 sprocket with holes

No 4.6 ever had cams with 2 sprockets with holes. :D

But the real reason is for the assembly line workers.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

I think all the combinations of heads I have all have one of each. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
does any one know how much a new pi cam would cost? I have a set od pi heads, but one needs a cam. I cant remember if it's the R or L side. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts