TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Reinhart chip and a 02 GT MAF last night and I have to say I am very impressed. However, I've run into a few wierd problems. I made sure the contacts were clean, checked the wiring of the MAF harness mulitple times, and pulled fuse 15 to reset everything. Most of the time the car starts right up with no hesitation. Sometimes though, when it starts, it will cough a little at idle right after starting, and then go back to normal. A few times, it starts, coughs then dies, and when I try to restart it, it just cranks, but doesn't turn over. However if I unplug the MAF, it does start, and stays running, when I plug it back in. The only things I can think of are that the intake is choked, or that I haven't given the EEC enough time to relearn all the current settings. Any ideas?? Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

I fiddled with the intake setup last night, and sealed some spots, and today during my lunch break I'm going to try resetting the MAF and letting it idle for a while.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Make sure of no air leak around MAF - I remember when i did my LMAF
it stalled when put in gear - You are on the right track - pull fuse and let
idle until engine is at normal operating temp - take car out and cruise at 50mph
for a few miles - Also if it still stumbles or dies at idle you can adjust the idle
speed on the Throttel Body (8mm)

Hope this helps Curt

·
Registered
573 Posts
MadCanadian, Check the simple things one more time. Disconnect the negitive battery terminal. Remove the computer box again. Don't assume anything. The computer box connections need just a little of 800 grit sanding on both sides, just a little. then spray a little contact cleaner on that to remove the dust. They should be a bright copper color then. Spray the harness connector too. Let that dry, reconnect and and reinstall the box. Then get under the hood disconnect the MAF connector. Spray both sides. let that dry and reconnect. Check the clamp connections one more time, It's surprising how they might just might need another quarter of a turn. Reconnect the negitve battery cable. Now, start it up. These new mods are 80% electrical and 20% mechanical. Not like the old days. Every time I add more intake air, or more exhale air, it takes that computer more than just a trip around the block to get it right. But everytime you restart the motor it should run just a little better. Give it time, highway speeds of about one hour at a time work great. Look at the guys on the site, 80% of all concerns relate to electrical solutions. You want to relate to your problem with a mechanical answer, that's instinct. The mechanical answer got blowed away in the late 80's. Why, because mechanical takes up to much room, the parts won't fit under yor hood, and they weigh too much. That's how it went. Electrical is how it's gonna be done in the future.. The supercharger is great, but it has one defect, it's mechanical. It will be replaced someday, I gaurantee, with something that will do the same thing only electrical. Ed

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ain't that the truth! It was all I could to restrain myself from tearing into the engine block. I'm out of town right now, but as soon as I get back I'll try cleaning all the connections again, and tightening up the hose clamps. Let's hope that's the problem!! Thanks for the replies!!

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
MadCanadian said:
Ain't that the truth! It was all I could to restrain myself from tearing into the engine block. I'm out of town right now, but as soon as I get back I'll try cleaning all the connections again, and tightening up the hose clamps. Let's hope that's the problem!! Thanks for the replies!!
Do the 94/95 cars need the special connector for the 02 GT maf? If so, I would check your wiring job.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, 94/95s to need a new connecter. I bought the 6 pin connecter new from a local dealer. Definitely worth a shot to check that connection again. I'll try that too when I get back next week. Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just my $.02........but it sounds an awful like the IAC might be bad. Mine did the same thing at first...........and after a few weeks, it would die when I came to a stop while driving.

After I rebuilt my motor, had the same thing happen 2 weeks after I got her up and running. The only differrence is she'd also backfire andwould run rough at cruising speeds...........but that was because I was running rich. Come to find out.......my 90mm L-MAF was bad as well.......put the stock one on and she ran 100% better.

But from what you described.........it's either the IAC is bad........or the MAF connector is wired wrong. My money is on the IAC.........but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you still have problems with it after you check everything out send me an email.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies!! I'll be back in San Francisco this weekend sometime, so I'll be able to take a look at everything.

Slowride, did you mean the IAC at the throttle body, or the IAT at the MAF?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got everything fixed I believe. I was getting so pissed off I was about to rip out the chip and return it and say the hell with it. I decided to experiment a little first though. I tightened the intake all up, checked all of my connections, and let it idle to let the computer learn for quite a while. Finally, after stalling a nuumber of times while at idle in gear I was about to pull everything return it to stock to test it out and see if I really needed a new IAC. As it turns out the problem was the MAF the whole time. As soon as I re-installed the stock MAF, the car started up no problems. I drove around for quite a bit today and it ran like a champ. The only thing I can think of is that the chip wasn't calibrated for that MAF. Anyway, thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's posible that the chip company that you bought your chip from didn't program it for the '02 MAF transfer functions. I tried to start my car with the '02 MAF sensor before I put the chip in to see what it does and it would puff black smoke out the exhaust, it was real rich in fuel. Then put the chip in and it runs great.

Clay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts