TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a weird series of beeps under the dash on tv passenger side. It beeps 5 times for a total of 5 times in a row and then it stops until I start the car the next time. It does it with the key on and engie off or key on and engine running. It sound like it may be coming from a blue box next to the glove compartment behind the dash an above the ECU. Any ideas what may be going on? I do not have a check engine light on. Thanks for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
203 Posts
My '95 does something similar but at random times. I DO have a CEL on though.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Air bag module. It will emit audible warnings if the bulb in the instrument cluster is out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ugh, I just had the cluster out a few weeks ago to replace the speedo/tach bulbs. Hopefully I can get it back out without breaking this replacement cluster surround. My original one just fell apart when I took it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
General rule - replace ALL the bulbs when you have it out to replace ONE.

They're all the same age, they're all about due to failure due to age.

Also, while open - clean all the contacts, using either a mild abrasive (I use a dollar bill!), and if possible, treat with some Stabilant 22 or DeoxIt.

RwP

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm just going to leave mine alone since it doesn't beep all the time. I don't want to take a chance on breaking this cluster surround as it's one I got off a yard and isn't 100% anyways.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Yes, it's a 194. IIRC 93-96 (possibly the earlier years too but I am not sure) are 194s. 97 uses 37 for the idiot lights.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I cranked mine up a few minutes ago and noticed that the airbag light came on with the rest of the warning lights so it is still working. Could it be anything else?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
FWIW, I just picked up another blue box for my 1995 'Bird cause my air bag light flashes every once in awhile.

They come out VERY EASILY - no tools required. Hang the glove department door down and it literally snaps out then unplug the wire harness.

If you need a replacement, let me know - I'll grab another one next time I go to the yard!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
UPDATE: I just wanted to let y'all know that I also got that weird beeping noise from the air bag module this morning for the first time. Almost sounds the same as the Snapshot module I have plugged into the Explorer from Progressive.

Well, every once in awhile my airbag light shows code 34, but today I finally changed it with the one I bought at the junk yard since I got that weird beep this morning.
Real bummer because the one I stuck in there is bad, too. Different code, but it flashes all the time code 13.

And of course, I've had it so long I can't return it. Oh well. I may take the original one and just re-solder all the connections and plug it back in. That's usually what goes bad on 20 year old circuit boards.....

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
... I may take the original one and just re-solder all the connections and plug it back in. That's usually what goes bad on 20 year old circuit boards.....
On stuff like this I have a process, lol.

I add flux, then heat it gently with my butane torch, working from area to area until the solder melts.

I keep the molten area to ~1/2" dia, and move it across the board.

An industrial heat gun also works, but it takes more skill.

Don't use so much heat that all the parts fall off! :rofl:

If there are voids or corroded areas, I hit it with kester 44 from a roll.

This works 99% of the time; car stereos with intermittent outputs, amps, etc.

For everyone else wanting to try this: Don't use too much heat; it's not like sweating pipe, lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
What kind of flux do you prefer to use?

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
This is best for repair, IMHO. (YMMV, etc.)

http://www.techni-tool.com/488SO186

I have some specialty fluxes for other stuff, but this is best for electronics.

Don't clean RMA flux with Alcohol of any type, unless it's pure. Otherwise, you get white conductive residue. :)

I use Flux-Off, which is Hexane, which is basically white gas. :)

http://www.techni-tool.com/237OZ135

Remember when they used to tell you not to clean stuff with gas? :rolleyes:

Getting rid of Freon TF made everything much more dangerous... :facepalm:

Don't mix lead-free solder with leaded solder, but leaded will work with anything.
(Don't add lead free to an existing circuit unless you have no other choice; you'll repair it again, lol.)

Note to the environmentally conscious: If you want to avoid lead exposure, don't lick the PC board. :thumbsup:

(I have a sign in a room at work: "Do not lick crystals!" We made it to appease an EHS guy... :facepalm: )

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: I just wanted to let y'all know that I also got that weird beeping noise from the air bag module this morning for the first time. Almost sounds the same as the Snapshot module I have plugged into the Explorer from Progressive.

Well, every once in awhile my airbag light shows code 34, but today I finally changed it with the one I bought at the junk yard since I got that weird beep this morning.
Real bummer because the one I stuck in there is bad, too. Different code, but it flashes all the time code 13.

And of course, I've had it so long I can't return it. Oh well. I may take the original one and just re-solder all the connections and plug it back in. That's usually what goes bad on 20 year old circuit boards.....
I have a code 13 flashing on my '94 Cat. Will replacing the blue box behind the glove box remedy this problem ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts