TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - this noise is getting to be annoying.

It ONLY happens after the car is put in park after driving, and while the engine is still running. Never on startup, or while driving.

It kinda sounds like a buzzing, and climbs in pitch despite the enging staying idle.

Without a .wav of it, I know it's hard to diagnose, but if anybody's had a similar noise and figured it out, I'd like to hear from ya :).

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
whining

My father's Mark VII did the same thing. It started out just like yours did, but then it moved onto doing it all the time. He still drives the car, with it making the sound. Turns out a bearing in the power steering had bent. The car still drives fine, but it just whines, and gets louder as he accelerates. i don't know if thats the same thing you got, but it sounds like a similar situation to me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm - I don't remember ever hitting a curb hard enough to wreck steering parts ;).

Not sure if it's the noise or not. It isn't like the typical ford power steering whine, but a buzzing sound, and only when it's stationary :confused:.

Oh well, I'd get it fixed if I knew exactly what it is, but it's very difficult to track down...

POS Cougar :D!

·
Registered
105 Posts
MercCougarXR7:

You might want to check your fuel pump. Since its located in the gas tank, the sound seems to come from the rear seat area. My 96 XR7 was making a similar noise: whinning/humming/buzzing. Only could hear it when the car was sitting at an idle. It cleared up on its own but it definately was the fuel pump in my case. Good luck, hope this gives you something to look into.

-hooD :cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definately NOT the fuel pump, my brother's 89 had that problem, and I'm WELL aware of what THAT noise is - ANNOYING :D! But good idea, and thanks for the headsup.

AOD crapping out, eh? I hope not, the thing was just rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago, with a shift kit to boot to keep the shifts short (no frying clutch packs). But - knowing MY driving style, I wouldn't be surprised.....

What specifically went on your AOD?

What I think it may be, is loosening shift linkage. I'm starting to hear a buzzing noise when driving at low speeds now too (only when windows are open), partially because of low wind noise, or maybe because it's only in 1st or 2nd gear. Once it's in 3rd, I can't hear it anymore, but it is windy at 40mph.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you done the J-mod?

...After I did the J-mod to my VB, my car started buzzing in Park, and in Neutral, but never in drive. I was not a problem, and just something that I would have to live with unless I upgraded to the newer VB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts