TCCoA Forums banner

Which should I get to replace the Cougar?

• 89-90 5 Speed Supercoupe

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • 1st Gen Lincoln Mark VIII

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been down sick all week with some stomach bug going around here, and my wife has been driving my Cougar. She has decided that after driving it for a week, that she likes it and wants it. I told her that the only way she could have it was if I could get a Mark VIII or a 5 spd Supercoupe, and she said no problem, as soon as X-Mas was over, so now I'm trying to decide the pros and cons of each car to decide which one to get. I'm more into Drag Racing than anything else so help me decide.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What will the primary purpose be; mostly racing, or mostly daily driving?

I’ll vote this way depending on your answer: :D

Racing with some daily driving: SC
Daily driving with some racing: Mark VIII

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
There are definitely a lot more power mods available for the 4.6L DOHC in the Mark VIII than the 3.8L SC. I'd recommend a Gen 2, ('97-'98), mainly because they're newer and the engine is a little easier to work on, (TB is on top of the intake instead of behind it). The Gen 1, ('93-'96), can be found for ridiculously low prices, but are moe likely to need other things, like replacement air suspension components, etc., than a lower mileage Gen 2.

The Gen 1 Mark VIII is generally accepted to be a little faster then the Gen 2, but the Gen 2 has the HID headlights, (Gen 1 are really bad). If you can get a true LSC model, (only '96-'98), it will also have dual exhaust and 3.27 gears. Base models have single exhause and 3.08 gears.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think he is saying the earlier cars because they would be easier to find. You try going out and finding a 94-95 5spd SC....

Preston

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to have that, but I have to wait until after X-Mas to do the trade with her, and at that price, that car will be long gone. You guys aren't making this easy either, every time I check the thread, it's tied.

The reason for the early cars is that I want to buy something in cash, and avoid a car payment so I have more money for mods. It's also going to primarily be a toy, and I'm trying to take that into account.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Personally if you wanna build it up id go with the Mark 8...SCs are awesome but the ones ive seen are very high maintenence, just to keep them stock.... Most V8s...especially the 4.6 DOHC are easier and more reliable to build up IMO.

Greg

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i would get a later Mk8...97-98. But, i would get an earlier SC...s model blower, raised top, 3.27s, 10% pulley, no cat exhaust, crower cam..but thats just me.

joseph

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you're going for the 1/4, you will have to make a lot more hp to get a mark down as fast as a bird. The aerobirds (foxbodies) are even lighter. If you want mostly a quarter car and really want a mark, you may want to go mountain motor or big turbo to lay down some quick times.
BMan.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I say go for the Mark. Steve_SC has a MarkVIII and it ran 14.9 stock, this past summer. I have seen many 1989-1990 SCs run mid 15.s stock or even lightly modded.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Hey what's to complain about as far as having 2 or more MN12's? Especially if you have the more powerful kind. Sounds like a good time to me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts