TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys as the title says but it wasnt just a no she used other words i would rather not use here lol.....so here goes what can i do for performance without spending alot of money????? shaved heads when i replace the vavle seals???,
exhaust but no headers(she said no to the headers too) she said the cars not worth putting in alot of money into it for now she did say maybe in about 3 or 4 years tho, she writes the checks lol any idea??? i read that certain things wouldnt do but 2 or 3 hp so any help?????

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Check to see if any Engine Builders give Trade Ins on Wives. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she doesnt rule my life just the money lol and trust me if somebody builds engines then they wouldnt want her anyways...lol

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Well you might want to explain to her that replacing the valve seals isn't worth it because the guides in the earlier style heads wear out, and if you replace the valve seals now without replacing the guides you will be right back where you started inside of 10K miles. The cost of replacing the guides is more than buying a set of PI heads, and the newer heads have an improved design so you won't have an oil burning problem anymore. Except for the part about once you buy the PI heads, and new head bolts and gaskets etc, you are spending almost as much as you would on a complete explorer motor, which would be a much lower mileage engine and would last for a long time. So really the most cost effective thing for you to do is to replace the engine, not just replace the valve seals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks mikey , so with the explorer motor what else would i need other than a mech.????would i need the whole motor intake,tb,injectors,headers?????ecm?????tranny???mines auto cause i read about just the block bein used and heads from a different car and intake from a diff car and so on so on

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
thanks mikey , so with the explorer motor what else would i need other than a mech.????would i need the whole motor intake,tb,injectors,headers?????ecm?????tranny???mines auto cause i read about just the block bein used and heads from a different car and intake from a diff car and so on so on
you better check the sticky here or search before we email your wife and you will be in even more trouble :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here's my advice:

Get a job and spend your money as you see fit... :tongue:

Seriously though: The first thing I would do (and this is maintenance not "modification") is get the car in tip top condition. Complete tune up, new filters, check for any vacuum leaks, make sure the brakes/suspension etc are in great shape. Then fix any little irritating cosmetic/interior things

Then as time/money permits do the Explorer swap as MadMikeyL mentioned. I HIGHLY recommend you search on here for Explorer swap (before asking questions). You should find plenty of information on exactly what is required.

But first and foremost: What are your plans for the car: race car, daily driver, weekend cruiser, etc. That is a decision that has to be made before you start spending money. Because the modifications are dependant on what the intended use is going to be.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
975 Posts
IMHO Take the time to do all the maintenance work on the car, then if the car is low mileage J-Mod + Merc V trans fluid (if higher mileage rebuild), then worry about the go fast parts, like an engine swap etc...

Dropping a 4.6 from a PI explorer is great and all, but if you haven't prepared for it, then you just shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well its gonna be a daily driver and a weekend cruiser and i wouldnt mind taking to the track a couple of times either, and she likes to buy clothes and food and pay bills unlike myself lol oh yeah diapers and wipes she buys too for our son and thanks machausta ive havent planned for a swap either,the car runs good and all but it does smoke alittle on start up and i have the infamous intake coolant leak at the #4 spark plug wire which i put dielectric grease around the top of the wire to keep it from getting in the well and it has a small miss once a minute or 2 minutes, and my wifes car needs more work than i want to put into it its a 99 regal supercharged

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
the car runs good and all but it does smoke alittle on start up and i have the infamous intake coolant leak at the #4 spark plug wire ...
If you have a '95, you don't have the infamous intake leak. That is a know problem on the 96 - 97 plastic intakes. If stock, your intake should be all aluminum.

And I'll reiterate my suggestion about getting everything fixed before modifying. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not the intake its the gasket,thats where the wet spot is there and was the #4 spark plug well ,, what would a mech charge to replace that if you know

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
didnt i say that last time?

save your money for an engine swap

not worth it to put PI heads, intake etc on a worn bottom end.. not worth it to fix the junk heads,

lets not talk about the trans... just save your $

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have to agree with the guys here: save your money. With the 94-95 engines there's a lot that could use some tweaking. Going with the PI engine gives you the advantage of a newer bottom end and takes care of the majority of the tweaks.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
step one remove wife
step two remove engine
step three install new engine
step four install new wife

1 - 20 of 37 Posts