TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my heads cause the passenger head gasket blew and the head ended up cracking?whats the best thing i should do?i find a lot of people selling sc heads i cant find any from an lx if its not possible to use sc heads what should i do?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I don't believe the SC heads will work on a non SC engine. I would check with local parts stores or machine shops for another haed.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
You can use them. The SC head is beefier.

Joe

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm glad to know this as well. I have read else where that said the SC heads wouldn't work:crazy:
Than you for setting me straight Joe.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I bet they are beefier. I wasn't worried about the 93 3.8 I bought new blowing up, because I knew the superchargerd version was holding up OK. Boy was I wrong.

Bob

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
What makes the SC heads better than the NA heads in terms of headgasket sealing is the location and number of coolant passages near the combustion chambers.

This is a 89-95 singleport NA head:

This is a 99+ splitport head (the coolant passage design is nearly identical to SC and 96-98 NA heads):

Notice the difference?

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts

·
8,978 Posts
NiteFire said:
so would the splitport heads fit on a 97 3.8?
yes, but you'll also have to change intakes, throttle body, throttle linkage, egr tube, wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, and ALL kinds of other things.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
99+ Heads will work but is about a $1200 conversion, and you must find/make custom Return Fuel Rail.

edited for correct information -Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
1lowbird said:
yeah that head has been deckt a bid A

:confused: :confused:

NiteFire said:
so would the splitport heads fit on a 97 3.8?
As both Thomas and bowez said, it can certainly be done. Actually, 96-97 3.8L MN12's are the easiest to do the splitport swap in IMHO, since they already have DIS. Adding DIS to my 94 LX wasn't much fun.

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
racecougar said:
:confused: :confused:

As both Thomas and bowez said, it can certainly be done. Actually, 96-97 3.8L MN12's are the easiest to do the splitport swap in IMHO, since they already have DIS. Adding DIS to my 94 LX wasn't much fun.

-Rod

Though, SplitPortBird has shown us that with a custom EGR tube, (or obviously, deleting EGR, which was already known) the split-port swap can be done with a distributor

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Thomas said:
Though, SplitPortBird has shown us that with a custom EGR tube, (or obviously, deleting EGR, which was already known) the split-port swap can be done with a distributor
True. I'm just a fan of the better tunability associated with DIS over TFI.

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
racecougar said:
True. I'm just a fan of the better tunability associated with DIS over TFI.

-Rod
I feel the same way. I want to switch over to DIS with an EEC-V computer so I can use an X-Cal2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts