TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I BLEW OUT MY REAR DOING DOUGHNUTS THE OTHER DAY SO I GOT ONE OUT OF AN 89 COUGAR FROM THE JUNKYARD, THE ONLY DIFFERENCES I SEE IS THAT THE COUGAR HAD AN 8.8 REAR END WITH DISC BRAKES, AND MY BIRD HAD A 7.5 REAR WITH DRUM BRAKES. WILL THESE DIFFERENTIALS MATCH UP WHEN I GO TO SWAP THEM??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO, HAVE YOU DONE THIS BEFORE, OR HAVE YOU JUST HEARD THAT THEY BOLT RIGHT UP?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Many of us here have replaced/swapped centersections (pumpkins) quite a few times. As rancher said, it's a bolt in.

-Rod

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOOD NEWS, THE 8.8 WENT IN WITH NO TROUBLE!!! WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 7.5 AND 8.8 REAR END? WHAT DO THE NUMBERS ACTUALLY MEAN?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Just one thing dude, turn the caps lock off, please.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
BirdMan89 said:
WHAT DO THE NUMBERS ACTUALLY MEAN?
7.5 = 7.5" ring gear

8.8 = 8.8" ring gear

-Rod

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also, the 8.8" will handle quite a bit more torque than the 7.5" will.

But you have already tested the TQ limits of the 7.5"!!!!!!

68COUGAR

·
Registered
292 Posts
Both 7.5" and 8.8" ring gear varieties are equipped with 28-spline axles, thus a direct fit. 7.5" is worthless for performance use. A stock 5.0 175 horse engine will generally destroy this assembly with little effort. 8.8" is an awesome piece, it will last you through a lot of abuse. The axles can be easily recognized by the inspection covers. The 7.5 has only two straight sides, top and bottom, the 8.8 is basically a square with rounded corners. Unless you have a posi 3.55 gears are the max you should have on open rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts