TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 96 4.6 tranny work in my 94. They are both V8 birds. Would I have to chance anything or just bolt in. Thanks

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
matt94 said:
Will a 96 4.6 tranny work in my 94. They are both V8 birds. Would I have to chance anything or just bolt in. Thanks
Direct swap-nothing to change.
JL

·
Registered
632 Posts
Actually, you may need to change the TCC solenoid from the old tranny to the new one.

From mn12performance.com:

TCC solenoid was changed from 1-3 ohms to 10 to 16 ohms for 1995 Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria and all 1996 and up models.

-Andrey

·
3,232 Posts
MadRussian said:
Actually, you may need to change the TCC solenoid from the old tranny to the new one.

TCC solenoid was changed from 1-3 ohms to 10 to 16 ohms for 1995 Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria and all 1996 and up models.

-Andrey
They are both V8 birds
No-nothing needs to be changed-Read your own post again,and tell me why it's painfully obvious that it doesn't apply to the Tbird.
JL

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
what about the tranny from the 98 mark, anything special needed to do that?

·
Registered
798 Posts
MadRussian said:

-Andrey
I believe JL is referring to the "1995 Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria and all 1996 and up models. " portion

·
3,232 Posts
MadRussian said:
1-3 ohms in a 94
10 to 16 ohms in the 96

Am I missing something?

-Andrey
Yes you're missing something...
In '94-'95 Tbirds/Cougars were the preliminary testers for OBD-2/EEC-V,and got the newer 10-16 ohm TCC solenoid. All of the other vehicles were still EEC-IV, and had the 1-3 ohm TCC solenoid.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
what about the tranny from the 98 mark, anything special needed to do that?
Repin the trans connector-that's it.
JL

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

Yes you're missing something...
In '94-'95 Tbirds/Cougars were the preliminary testers for OBD-2/EEC-V,and got the newer 10-16 ohm TCC solenoid. All of the other vehicles were still EEC-IV, and had the 1-3 ohm TCC solenoid.
JL
Ack! Blah! ;)

Last year I swapped my 95 into a 97 transmission and I know the following are facts:

1. The 94-95 T-Bird EEC is NOT OBDII compliant. It is only part way. Just a little.

2. The 94-95 & 96-97 EEC's are not the same and the EEC's directly control the TCC. The wrong resistance will fry one EEC and be an annoyance in the other.

3. The wiring harnesses from a 94-95 & 96-97 Transmission are not the same.

Since the wiring harness was changed I swapped over the TCC. Just to be safe. I regret to say that I never checked the resistance of the two TCC's but I wonder if you have or you’re are simply quoting someone?

I am confused:
"Posted by:
In response to:
If your tranny is "going out"...
Posted by:
Big Scott -- 07/03/2001 at 08:38:40

you will need to swap in your old/existing converter clutch solenoid.
The impeadance is different and you WILL fry the EEC
or solenoid if you use the 96 and up solenoid in a 95
and older EEC

Johnny Langton"

I will like to see some backing to your statement that the TCC's are the same and there are absolutly no changes required in the swap. What is your source?

·
3,232 Posts
J.Miller said:

Ack! Blah! ;)

Last year I swapped my 95 into a 97 transmission and I know the following are facts:

1. The 94-95 T-Bird EEC is NOT OBDII compliant. It is only part way. Just a little.

2. The 94-95 & 96-97 EEC's are not the same and the EEC's directly control the TCC. The wrong resistance will fry one EEC and be an annoyance in the other.

3. The wiring harnesses from a 94-95 & 96-97 Transmission are not the same.

Since the wiring harness was changed I swapped over the TCC. Just to be safe. I regret to say that I never checked the resistance of the two TCC's but I wonder if you have or you’re are simply quoting someone?

I am confused:
"Posted by:
In response to:
If your tranny is "going out"...
Posted by:
Big Scott -- 07/03/2001 at 08:38:40

you will need to swap in your old/existing converter clutch solenoid.
The impeadance is different and you WILL fry the EEC
or solenoid if you use the 96 and up solenoid in a 95
and older EEC

Johnny Langton"

I will like to see some backing to your statement that the TCC's are the same and there are absolutly no changes required in the swap. What is your source?
#1-
In '94-'95 Tbirds/Cougars were the preliminary testers for OBD-2/EEC-V
Define preliminary please...
#2-Don't put words in my mouth-I never stated anything about the EECs being the same.
#3-The harness itself is different-but the pinout entering the trans is identical,and the functions are identical.
#4-I checked the solenoid with my trusty fluke meter,and just went to check again... to make sure.
The solenoid from my daughter's '95 TBird (I pulled the original trans,and rebuilt a '97 TBird trans to put in it) measures 12.8 ohms-upon closer inspection of the piece and a phone call...it's got the wrong part number on it-so apparently somebody swapped the solenoid at one point to the newer one-or it was a later production trans that got the piece mixed up. I was incorrect that the solenoids are the same-I verified this with a trusted source.
JL

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

#1-
Define preliminary please...
I guess I am a little more specific. No biggie.

Johnny Langton said:
I was incorrect that the solenoids are the same-I verified this with a trusted source.
JL
I just get concerned with a suspect wrong resistance solenoid being energized by the EEC since the EEC is acting like a relay and as such has an amperage limit. Correct me if I am wrong but, if you put a lower resistance solenoid in line with the relay you raise the current (I=V/R) and risk frying the relay in the EEC. This may be why the higher resistance TCC worked in the 95. Possibly, as you suspect she has an early 96 EEC?

However, I would be concerned with reliability if she has a 95 EEC. IE: Not enough juce?? I guess we need to ask a higher authority what will happen. :leftright

·
3,232 Posts
Nope,it's definitely the bastard 88K EEC-V from '95,and has never even been out of the retainer bracket.
The problem with the lower resistance solenoid is that it will overload the circuit in the EEC,and it will fail that circuit.
I'm going to check again about the higher resistance solenoid on the early EEC-there shouldn't be any issues since the load of that EEC driven circuit is lower by a substantial amount.
JL

·
Registered
632 Posts
Alright, guys, let me put en end to the discussion about what happens when you use the wrong solenoid...

From personal experience: I had the wrong TCC solenoid in my 96, it was the earlier style. EEC did not fry, and nothing was damaged, however the converter would not lock up completely, and would slip if I gave the car gas. Also, there was horrible shudder while cruising at steady speed in 3rd or 4th.

You may be right about the EEC failing eventually, but it didnt happen to me.

Obviously, I didnt do this on purpose, and drove for a week until I fugured out that I had the wrong part.

-Andrey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts