TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 3.8 car I'm parting out and the engine runs like a top, a friend of mine has a 1996 3.8 car he would like to sale me for almost nothing and the only thing wrong with it is the motor is shot. What would I need to do to make my engine work in that car?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
wiring, and probably eec-iv swap to eec

·
Registered
917 Posts
i think you could just swap all sensors/wiring from the 96 engine on the 92. Its the same engine after all wether its using cans or obdII.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i put a 97 in my 94 w/ minor modification. just had to swap wiring harness an a few sensors and such. and i made it a dist instead of DIS

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Why would you want to put a 92 3.8 in a 96? By 96, the head gasket thing was pretty much taken care of.

If he's selling it to you for near nothing, just find a good salvage 96 or newer 3.8 and put that in. Just my .02 worth.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
yea i wouldn't put that 92 in there.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
You can swap the longblock over, just transfer anything that's different on the 96 motor over to the 92 motor. Also while you have the motor out, it would be a good idea to replace the head gaskets, and use head studs so you won't have any problems with them in the future.

·
5,650 Posts
You can swap the longblock over, just transfer anything that's different on the 96 motor over to the 92 motor. Also while you have the motor out, it would be a good idea to replace the head gaskets, and use head studs so you won't have any problems with them in the future.
You can't swap the long block over. The heads and lower intake are different between the two motors.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
You can't swap the long block over. The heads and lower intake are different between the two motors.
The heads have a thicker deck in the 96, but that was just to ease the head gasket problem. I'm pretty sure the lower intake is the same on all singleport 3.8s.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Nope. 96-97 have 12 bolts (6mm) while 95-earlier have 14 bolts (8mm).
true. def. not the same. the upper is, not lower. front cover and w/p are different too.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I didn't know that. So he could still swap the motor, he would just have to leave the lower intake from the 92 on it, right?

·
Registered
325 Posts
He should just drive down here and take mine. works perfect...He'd have to pull it or tow the whole thing back to Ohio...starts right up and even still drives..

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Remember, if you go from '96 to '92, you have to not only swap the wiring harness and EEC, you have to have go to an AOD tranny.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Remember, if you go from '96 to '92, you have to not only swap the wiring harness and EEC, you have to have go to an AOD tranny.
No, you don't have to do any of that. You reuse all the 96 wiring, computer, and trans. You just have to use the motor, heads, and lower intake from the 92.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why would you want to put a 92 3.8 in a 96? By 96, the head gasket thing was pretty much taken care of.

If he's selling it to you for near nothing, just find a good salvage 96 or newer 3.8 and put that in. Just my .02 worth.
hah....taken care of, ive got a 96 with 140k and it blows AF out the tailpipes just like the old ones did JUNK!!! always was and always will be

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
My sister has my old 97 3.8 with 172,000 miles on it (and counting) No engine trouble to date (other than cleaning the MAF, etc.) No smoke, no AF, gets good gas mileage. Heads have never been off the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts