TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's online so I can't see it in person, but it appears to be drive by wire. I'd like to know if it will work alright in my 97 4.6 car, or does it have that variable cam timing thing like the 05 Mustangs? How about CMCV's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I put an 04 Explorer in my 97. The 04 has the drive by wire but I got around it because I put an AED kit off of the origional motor on it thus removing the drive by wire and the coil on plug set up. In my opinion you would need to swap out the whole upper with an earlier PI intake. If I'm wrong you'll know it soon enough. There are a ton of experts on this page.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well on a 97 its easy, get a PI intake for say a mustang, and slap it on there, and just put all your stuff from your old intake (plenum, egr crap, injectors, ect) on the new one. If you want to use that explorer intake, then you will have to reroute your heater core hose from the front (where its located on the explorer intake) to the back. also you need to drill out a new hole for a temp sensor. With the mustang Pi intake you can just drill a hole on the crossover, if you use the explorer intake the easiest thing to do is get a t-fitting and put it in the line between the intake and heater core.

I almost forgot your gonna have to grind down a mount on the engine, I forget which side but its nothin too serious.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When I put the 04 in my car I didnt have to grind down anything. I initially had the poly mounts from chuck w and then replaced them with stock mounts. Chucks were great, just a little tight for my liking.....I'm old. Anyway they bolted right up without any mods. Maybe I got lucky somehow.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. This car no longer has a heater or egr crap or anything like that, lol. I just wanted to know if tis 05 model had anything that would be incompatible with my existing hardware, like variable cam timing as seen on the 3 valve motors. I know this is a 2 valve, but still...I thought I'd check.

I can't use the Explorer intake because it's a truck intake? Or is it the standard PI intake with drive by wire? If it's the latter, I WANT the cops and couldn't I just swap my non drive by wire plenum over?

If I can't use the Explorer one, then I need to get a new PI intake with fuel rails because I was using mine as a jig for adding COP wiring, and I accidentally dropped it breaking the above-mentioned parts. :eek:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Before everyone says how easy it is are we sure an 05 is not a 3 valve???? I don't know when the switchover was

·
Registered
410 Posts
I may be incorrect but I think to use the drive by wire and COP setup you'll need to use the explorer harness and computer........I think. I'm sure someone here knows for sure. Also the plenum may be too tall but dont quote me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think the drive by wire is a waste, COP is doable with your existing harness. Like I said before you can still use the Explorer intake, you just need to switch over your plenum and fuel system components. And since you said you dont have heat, all you need to do is block off the heater line on the crossover on the explorer intake.

·
5,650 Posts
In addition to using the Explorer harness, one would have to install the appropriate sensor on the gas pedal to complete the system. I'm going to guess that the pedal sensor wiring is part of the dash harness, which would then take this to the next level of difficulty for absolutely no reason.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no, I don't want that infernal smog-nazi drive by wire thing. Just the individual coil packs, which I've already prewired my engine harness for.

Looks like that deal went away before I could snag it...oh well. I'll keep looking, but it's good to know this information anyway. Thanks again!

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I just ordered a 2003 Grand Marquis engine to the freight dock at work. Nevermind the Explorer one. This has individual coils on it already also, so good for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts