TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question, I searched the threads and I see that only the 02-05 explorer 4.6 is recomended for swaping to the Thunderbird, but was wondering if an 06 4.6 can be used, I was offered a good deal on one recently that is complete, so I am hesitating on it because here it only mentions 02-05 as a suitable candidate, will an 06 motor work?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't to tell you the truth, I was about to buy it but became skeptical when I checked here and seen it only mentioned 02-05 so I figured better to ask someone rather than to buy it and have something I can't use.

I take it might be a 3 valve design then? Essh!! back to the hunt... Thank you GM... your wisdom here is always appreciated....

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
could someone use a 4v c head intake manifold on a 3v? What more would need to be done for a 3v swap as compared to any 2v swap?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I think the bolt spacing on the intake manifold flange is different between a 3v and a 4v.

For a 3v swap you'd need to switch out the Tb's, adapt 3v exhaust manifolds, lock out the cam phasers, delete EGR, custom fuel rails to convert to return-style system, re-do vacuum lines, somehow plumb-in the IAC valve into the manifold itself, either adapt coil pack brackets to the timing cover or go COP conversion, make sure you use the correct oil filter/coolant adapter, use 3V style Tstat housing/coolant tubes/hoses, adapt heater core hoses

Thats the majority of things.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Gotchya. Just curious. No wonder no one has done it yet, that I know of.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a thread going about this very topic. You can buy a swap kit to install it in a Mustang. Everything should work on our cars, except for the returnless fuel system. Unfortunately the kit is expensive. It's $1500-$1900 depending on whether you buy it with a tuner or not, and that's just the cost of the kit, no motor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds almost as crazy as the cost of a 4v when it is all said and done and looks like more of a headache to boot... Glad I dodged that bullet... It would have been a great deal had I been able to actually use it, had 70K miles and all complete for 1100.00 and the guy would have delivered it to my door if need be. Sure wish it had been an 05 block instead.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
A 3V swap really needs an eec update to get the advantages that would made it worthwhile.

I don't believe there's an intake that will clear a stock hood, either. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
Why would you say this?
Variable valve timing that works, and a better, multi-strike ignition, to start with...

But swapping the wiring would be a drag.

There were 4v engines that worked with our stock eecs, that's the way I'm headed.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
I don't believe there's an intake that will clear a stock hood, either. :)
What, not a fan of Miller style intakes? :tongue:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Variable valve timing that works, and a better, multi-strike ignition, to start with...

But swapping the wiring would be a drag.

There were 4v engines that worked with our stock eecs, that's the way I'm headed.
I thought you were saying that the 3v computer needed to be upgraded. You can use the 2v computer on a 3v if you lock the cams.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts