TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the newbie forum, but, didn't get any answers, So, I will try here.

I recently bought a 60k garage kept '94 T-bird with a rod knocking 4.6. I also have a low mileage '96 T-Bird 4.6 engine that I would like to put in this car. I know that there are some issues; the fuel lines, the throttle cable, the cruise cable and intake routing.

I went to the dealership today and was told the fuel lines were discontinued. Hit a couple of salvage yards, no luck.

So, my question is ...Would the 94 intake and all it's odds and ends fit on the 96 engine or is there a port difference that would keep it from going on. The local parts store says that they use a different gasket set. Or do I contine to search for the lines and cables to install the 96 engine with the 96 intake.

Though it pains me to say this. I'm not worried so much about the horsepower loss using the earlier intake as I am meeting a deadline to get this engine swapped and getting the car driveable. So if the 94 intake will bolt to this 96 engine thats what I need to do.

Thanks,
Billy

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
yes, it will fit. Use the gasket set for whichever year intake you use. However, the newer intake styles are better if you wish to swap to either the 96 intake or better yet, the PI intake. If you look around, you can find a used set of 96 fuel lines, in fact, I believe there are a set in the parts for sale forum right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help/info. I would like to use the 96 intake, but, need the car running. I will probably use the 94 for now and keep the 96 to install later if I can gather the parts.

Billy

·
Registered
803 Posts
Do not prefer the '96 plastic intake to the '95 intake on a '95 car.

The head ports are the same.
The '96 plastic intake runners have a few issues.
Also, what problems do you really have?

If you basically have a '96 long-block that you can slap into this garage queen, then go all the way.
The nice thing here. Besides......
Cruise control still fits. Fuel rail is fit.
yada yada.

Is that you can put PI Cams into '96 heads without any machine work. The '95 heads are not compatible.

Do not presume that the aluminum intake will cost you HP.

Easy money as far as I can tell.

good luck
rm

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I just installed a plastic intake on my 95 and IMO it was worth the swap. My car definately runs better with the 96up intake on it. The throttle cable and bracket had to be changed as well as I still need the cruise cable. The egr and tube had to be changed, and all of the pcv tubes. It would be cheaper to put a PI intake on a 96 than to swap a 94/95 one in. IF you decide to do it I have some leftover parts.
Alan

·
Registered
49 Posts
RichardM said:
Is that you can put PI Cams into '96 heads without any machine work. The '95 heads are not compatible.

rm
I thought the heads from '95 up were all the same, such as the '96-'98 Mustang.
I thought it was the PRE-'94 heads you want to stay clear of.

Did the Birds still come with the '94 heads in '95? Up date me Please!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
95crwnvic54 said:
I thought the heads from '95 up were all the same, such as the '96-'98 Mustang.
I thought it was the PRE-'94 heads you want to stay clear of.

Did the Birds still come with the '94 heads in '95? Up date me Please!

Thanks
AFAIK the heads updated in 96 with the new intake.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the 94-95 aluminum intake cuts out airflow at about 4200rpm. The small volume of the tank area is what I believe to be the root of this problem. punching it in 2nd gear on the highway with a chip tuned for shifting at 5krpm I can feel the acceleration stop at 4200 and it does nothing from there to 5k. The 96+ fixes that problem and the 99+ is just amazing at flowing air for a stock piece.
-Thomas

·
Registered
49 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
AFAIK the heads updated in 96 with the new intake.
So to tell if I have the '96-up heads, what are the part #'s

I have the 95's part # starting with f5, what would be the #'s on the '96 or is it a revision # to the "F5"---/----?

Please let me know!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
also to let you know there was a thread somewhere on here about some year Crown Vic's Fuel Rails working with the stock 95's lines on a PI Intake. I dont remember what came of it or it it held up; but its something to look over since the 96+ lines are unavailable.

Dave

·
Registered
803 Posts
The '95 heads have different spring pockets or something along those lines requiring machine work to run PI cams.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have a 2001 crown vic fuel rail on my car. The locations isn't perfect ,but it works with a little modification(bending) of the fuel lines.
Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input on this. I have the car running with the '96 engine w/ '94 intake and intake gaskets. The only real pain was finding out the '94 engine/transmission harness is also clipped to the top/middle of the tranny after the engine was unbolted and hanging on the engine stand.

I think it would have been easier to pull the intake and all of the engine/transmission harness first and then pull the engine. Less obstruction and would have found that transmission harness clip earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts