TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will any turbo work as long as you could fabricate it to match up, and was able to match up a nice fuel deilevry system as well

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Will it spin when you apply exhaust? Yes.

Will it push air out the other end? Yes.

Will it work for your car? Not necessarily.

Turbos are sized for the desired results. If you want a good street only car, then you want a turbo that will spool quickly and make full boost at as low an RPM as possible while not running out of steam at the upper end of your RPM range. If you're doing a Pro 5.0 car, the turbo will not even come on boost til you're turning 4k+. That would be kind of silly for a daily driver.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The size of your turbo depends on the overall performance of the rest of the engine. If you have turbo cams, ported heads, etc. it will affect which turbo you want.

There are plenty of options out there, and you could slap on just about any T4 or twin T3s, but they wouldn't be optimized. You might not get boost till 4K, or you may bog down at 4K.

If you want a cheap turbo setup, find turbos off 84-86 manual tranny Turbocoupes. They are a good size for stock, but have plenty of room to grow.

A single will be more expensive as your not going to find many cheap T61s or 62-1s.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, that opened up a bit, but im just looking into the turbo setup for giving my car only 35-40% in power increases, otherwise i would go all out like sir william said and match the specs. but another question, even if you did just slap any ole turbo on there, couldent you just tune it to get the performance?

·
11,719 Posts
no, not really. Most turbo's are not very efficient at low boost levels, and the ones that are aren't cheap. You'd probably be better off with an SVO blower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea. humm this is a stupid question but im a rookie and got a tbird from my uncle and im trying to learn. so my question is how does a turbo work with a auto trans. is it worth the effort of not really, because thats kinda the route id like to go with my bird but im slightly on the broke side and need some advice.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The trans has nothing to do with a turbo. One of us is thinking backwards. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks. a turbo does help alot with speed and acceleration though right? i get the impression that it is extremely difficult to fit into a bird, but is it worth it? what else needs to be done to insure a good dependable daily driver thats is turbo charged?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
A good tune. The connecting rods and pistons in the MN12 are also pretty weak. If you have a forged engine and mild (9-12 psi) boost, the engine should last for a long time--with a good tune.

And actually, an auto, IMO, is better suited to turbocharging. With a high stall converter, the engine can rev up more quickly, which in turn allows the turbo to spool faster, reducing or eliminating turbo lag.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'm running about 4lbs on mine now. I'll play more with it boost-wise once I get some more piping issues ironed out. But I've been driving it every day with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats your 0-60 and 1/4 mile even with the low boost?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another question, and i know this is a little off topic for this forum, but how would you make our engines push power through 7000rpm? crank, rods, pistons, cam, new heads...what else? this is somthing i really want to do, more than turbo even...

·
11,719 Posts
Fully ported heads, forged rods and pistons, balencing, a good cam, MAF, billet oil pump gears (insurance) and a TC that won't balloon up there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GreenBird said:
Fully ported heads, forged rods and pistons, balencing, a good cam, MAF, billet oil pump gears (insurance) and a TC that won't balloon up there.
well, now you know whats on my christmas list....:D

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well seeing as the t3 can only psh the 2.3 so far, a single on a 3.8L v6 wouldn't be the biggest power adder ever you know, but it would add some decent power, possibly 185-200rwhp on a stock motor? I'm building my car for two of them personally.
-Thomas

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not necessarilly.... it depends on how you build it. I know plenty of guys running T3's on six and even four cyllinder engines pusing past 300hp. The turbo is not the only factor. Exhaust pipe size, portwork, timing, and intercooler efficiency both in terms of flow and cooling rate play an important part. A T3 can push alot more boost than people realize with the proper fuel and intercooling. Just gotta tune for it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
but the boost on a 4 cylinder will not be the same on an 8 cylinder with the same turbo.
-Thomas

·
Registered
66 Posts
I suppose the compression of the engine and displacement will make a difference, yes, but all I am saying is that a T3 is capable of flowing enough air to support 300hp.

But I'm not sure why you think that 10psi on a 4 cyllinder is not the same as 10psi on an 8. A boost gauge T'd into the plenum will read 10psi in either case. There's more volume in the intake manifold and airpath than the combustion chambers put together in most cases, and adding an intercooler further raises the overall volume the compressor needs to pressurize. I'm not sure what you are saying.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts