TCCoA Forums banner

Will gutting or removing cats throw a CEL on 94 4.6 LX?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
I want to ditch the cats on my 94 LX after going full true-dual exhaust with x-pipe from Tru-bendz, cause my CEL to come on? I know this would happen on later cars, thus the use of MIL eliminators… anyone?

#8 ·
I can personally respond on this one. Mustang mil eliminators work fine on these cars with no cats provided there are no oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunctions. So basically yes they work as long as the sensor is in good shape and they aren't utilized in place of sensors.

Reactions: supergordo
#7 ·
The 94-95 models with the 4.6 are OBDII compliant EECV cars utilizing a 3 catalytic converter Lambda Sensor system. Running without cats will cause a CEL. There are ways to meet the sensor requirements for avoiding the CEL, but I cannot speak to their effectiveness.
"Gutting" a Cat never made sense to me. I would not expose myself to the heavy metals that will particulate in the process. And "Gutting" them will not fool anyone or any machine that tests them.
You will be better served by finding an alternative to that plan.

#9 ·
The eliminators are a 1M resistor, and a .001uF cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.