TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think not. I am sure with the age of the vehicle and the fact the airbags deployed it is totaled. Sad as it was in better shape than the 2 year old 2010 Toyota Corolla that turned left in front of me. She turned left in front of me on a 45 mph stretch of road. Me and my daughter. I didn't think she was going to go, as she seemed stopped, but of course she went. My daughter is at the urgent care now because her jaw hurts and her ear (and airbag burn on her neck, chin, arm, face, fat lip). I have two sore shoulders, a good sized bruise and serious rash on my arm as I decided to try to steer behind her, instead of self preservation mode.

Other vehicle was a 2010 Toyota. Newly bought by someone not the driver at time of accident, no proof of insurance (weeeeeeeeeeeee). Tucson no longer sends out a police officer unless someone is dead or it is a drunk politician, so hopefully the other driver sticks to the facts. I don't have a dash/windshield cam in this car (grrr).

I decided to drive it home instead of have it flat bedded home. It was an interesting drive home, when I got tailgated for doing the speed limit I veered into a good hole to release some loose bits. It made a dragging sound the whole way home, but that is what a radio is for.

I have so much I need to do it, swap wheels, brakes. Remove the Mustang MAF, return the tune to stock/unlock tuner, remove stereo and computer, but I will never find another car in this shape.

Think she is done with the airbags deploying.

Of course it is November, should be nice enough to drive the car without AC, but it is still in the high 80s, and so I kept driving the 97, and let the 89 get broken down, so I come home to this:

So looks like I have some work to do to have a working vehicle :)

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Sorry to see this .. ..3 wrecks in my life were the cause of a woman turning left in front of me :mad:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see where the crumple zone actually crumpled, I really assume it is a total with the airbags, but might take some more time to check it out. I don't want to leave on any of the things I added like the lowering springs and shocks, PBR calipers, the Mustang MAF and tune, I just don't see putting it all on my 89, a few hundred dollars worth of wheels in a 400 dollar car ::sigh::

I am not sure I can find another 96/97 Cougar I would be happy with, low miles, pearl paint in good shape, I guess I can maybe get that Mark VIII I was looking for when I got this car :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Snap son! You can probably get it fixed for $2-3k! Those wheels look sick on that car! Sorry to hear it man, I am going through something similar myself. I refused to let them total my car, so they paid me the total "value" of the car minus the "salvage value" the. I had to find a shop to promise to fix it for that price or less. They claimed the there was $4400 in damage, and if I had a newer car, they would have given me that in a second. For some reason though, they won't justify paying to repair an older car with less value. Just another way insurance companies are complete scammers and the law is on their side :(

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
That is sad!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Sorry to see this, such a nice car you have there...and that very car is the reason I found the chrome bullet center caps for the bullitt wheels, and ordered a set myself, are those Dante Designs 17" bullitts?

I would repair the car, that's not really all that bad of damage, from the photos...some junk yard hunting, have a body shop throw it on a frame machine, it would cost some money, but you would still have your nice cat!

·
Super Moderator
16,835 Posts
Terrible :( I've drooled over that car many times, I never thought I'd see it like that.

Too bad you're not closer, Miller1995 is parting Obucina's pearl 96 and would make great doner

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's the shops mostly. The labor can total up more than the parts. The entire front on his car can be bought for under $1000. But, labor and paint would rack up another $4 to 5k

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
not trying to be sexist...but 90% of the claims I review are caused by women.
I've always wondered about this.

Why do the insurance companies claim men are three times as likely to have insurance claims than women and give women cheaper insurance rates than men?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Hey Im looking for a power steering pump if you decide to part it out. Id trade it for something since its sort of fixable or rust free. Its going to be a bunch of work to fix this though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
OUCH! That's sad!

All I can say is that if you have the passion to fix it, you can and will! I'm in the midst of fixing my caprice, also totaled by a woman driver, and my car was in worse shape than this. I've been at it over a year and I'm not done putting together the replacement FULL FRAME yet. It really just takes time and you're desire to see it done!

This car can be saved, don't be so quick to write it off! Plus, this is a good time to really get creative! :cool:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
90% of the people that hit the 80% of the woman drivers are men I guess :)

Thanks for all the kind words. I am going to wait and see what happens. I swapped the rims and tires to my 89, as the tires on it are in pretty bad shape, and I need to have something to drive. Today I am also going to remove the tune and Mustang airbox/MAF so the XCal II will be unlocked depending on what happens with the car.

I need to go today and fill out an accident report, already filed a claim against the other drivers policy (if she has one, still not clear on that, I assume she is covered on an existing one with the new purchase of the vehicle).

I am not sure I want another frankenstein car, my 2000 Grand Marquis has been in 4 near total wrecks, and while it is overall fine, it is starting to show that is is pieced back together. To get the tri coat paint done and matching might be hard, and never look right. I was always okay with getting a mechanically tired car but had good paint and body because I can do mechanical things, paint and body not so much.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
If you were closer, you could have whats left of my 92 cougar.
Good body, frame electrical.
Or any one else......................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice crumple zone demonstration. If you could drive it home it CAN be fixed. Good excuse to go out and buy more tools. You'll need to pay a shop to repaint the car after you replace all the broken bits, though, I suppose. Maybe you can park it around back while you tally up the parts list.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That's slightly worse than my wife's 93 and yes it is a total. I picked up a complete front clip for $200, only issue is I just noticed it dosen't have fog light portion and her car does.... Expect $4000 for repairs $2000 if you do most of it yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts