TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forget the code but it popped up over a year ago and I have a CEL most all the time, goes off in winter sometimes. I have issues somewhere in the evap system. That not working properally hurt anything, MPG, premature cat clogging, sensor killings???

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I felt some odd idle qualities (shimmy/shakes at irregular intervals) until I replaced all the lines, the valve, and the sensor. I don't think it affected mpg, it might have also been felt as a stumble at cruising, but it wasn't too bad.

p1443 the code?

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
No, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forget the code. It runs fine. Some stumble at cold start up if I goose it. But runs 99% good to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
replace the vac lines there is like 4 of them. And get a evap and purge valve. All for under 60$ EAsy fix..

I just got done doing it on mine.. CEL went out.. Ton more power.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sounds like the evac purge valve, if it's throwing the P1443 code. See this thread http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=43557&highlight=evap+purge

If it's shaking/rumbling on idle, might be an EGR. That was a PITA replacement job on my 94. Quite possibly the worst location for an EGR tube and valve I've ever seen. There's a few posts on how to best do this. Search it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like the evac purge valve, if it's throwing the P1443 code. See this thread http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=43557&highlight=evap+purge

If it's shaking/rumbling on idle, might be an EGR. That was a PITA replacement job on my 94. Quite possibly the worst location for an EGR tube and valve I've ever seen. There's a few posts on how to best do this. Search it.
I had a 94 4.6L LX. I had a new EGR valve that i never put on because of the location. I didnt even want to take the time to replace it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
94-95 valves usually not the problem. It's the darn location where it bleeds into the manifold. Gets clogged up. Been driving mine for years with the light on. Still passes inspecion even, and in Houston that is tough.

But yours is different. I think you have a good feel with everyone's advice on what to fix.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
94-95 valves usually not the problem. It's the darn location where it bleeds into the manifold. Gets clogged up. Been driving mine for years with the light on. Still passes inspecion even, and in Houston that is tough.

But yours is different. I think you have a good feel with everyone's advice on what to fix.
Mine ran like complete sh!t when the egr tube was nearly full of carbon buildup. Cleaned that crap out and replaced the valve for good measure and it ran great. That tube was terrible to get to. Never seen it in that spot on any other 4.6 - seems to only be the 94/95 birds

·
Registered
811 Posts
if that code has to do with the evap purge sensor or solenoid it will affect gas mileage.

I had this problem, my mileage dropped, I fixed the problem, mileage returned.

thats really the extent of my "expertise" on the matter, and its nothing more than noticing what happened before, during and after the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a cel for a failed purge valve. Wasn't causing any problems or drivability issues, but I couldn't pass inspection (Virginia)
The valve was only like $40 and it was a quick job right there in pasanger fender.
Now its been about a month and I'm getting some bucking under acceleration and a cel again but now for p1407 (egr no flow detected) it probably is just the clogged passage or clogged tube, but when I saw where it was I really didn't want to do it. I'll get around to it eventually but do you think that will clog my cats?
Conversion02 how did you get to yours?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts