TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,I read through the threads,verified visually that I have a 10 bolt 8.8 rear diff ,Axel Code "Z" on the door jamb (3.08 gears).
I am picking up a nice set of 3.73 gears this coming weekend and would like to replace the diff cover with a nice chrome one.
This looks different than mine,will it still fit/function?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Racing-Differential-Cover-Rear-Steel-Chrome-Ford-8-8-in-Kit-730308-1-/390631780277?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af377efb5&vxp=mtr

If this one wont work,do I have an option for another source?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it's missing something
What did I forget?
Or did you mean its totally not right?
Just tried running it as 1993 Cougar Differential Cover and another one that looks like the first one I posted showed up in the search.....
Help appreciated,wont order until You Guys let me know I am heading in the right direction.

2nd find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-Chrome-Differential-Cover-Ford-8-8-in-Steel-9893G-/111132024701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Mercury|Model:Cougar&hash=item19dffc1f7d&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Have you looked at your diff cover yet?

If not, check this pic out:

Then tell me what that cover has, that the Summit cover you link to, is missing.

RwP

·
Registered
88 Posts
This:
What in Gods name is that???

Let me answer that question with a question -- What kind of rear suspension layout do these cars have?
Unsure Man....up until a bit ago I was a FWD Guy.
A quick search of google says I have:

Independent Rear Suspension

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
This:
What in Gods name is that???

Gee, it LOOKS like the rear mount.

What kind of suspension does that look like, and how do you think the diff is mounted to the subframe?

RwP

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gee, it LOOKS like the rear mount.

What kind of suspension does that look like, and how do you think the diff is mounted to the subframe?

RwP
Sarcasm....I Love it.
LoL,so we have no choice on a nicer rear cover.
That sucks.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Sarcasm....I Love it.
LoL,so we have no choice on a nicer rear cover.
That sucks.
Perhaps a little searching may be in order?

Besides, buy a spare out of the boneyard, get it cleaned and chromed, and presto, there's your nicer color.

There's a whole other car that's got the same rear cover ... that's got chrome covers available.

Me? I'd opt for black powder coat myself. But that's me, now.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
You know the automotive gods will striketh thee for finishing cast aluminum in anything but silver, right? :tongue:
You mean the Great Deity Murphy and his prophet, Justin Case? :diablo:

He's been intimate with me several times. Do notice I'm in the computer business ...

RwP

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Not a bad price ^ :bangwall:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Although, I do have a question. You planning on jacking up the a** end high enough to make it a focal point on the cougar?

I'm not psychiatrist, but there may be a deeper issue here.

Before we discuss your vehicle's future stance... Tell me about your father... lol :tongue:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Although, I do have a question. You planning on jacking up the a** end high enough to make it a focal point on the cougar?

I'm not psychiatrist, but there may be a deeper issue here.

Before we discuss your vehicle's future stance... Tell me about your father... lol :tongue:
Of course it wont be jacked up to where its a focal point of the Car.
But,I will know its there and done and look good.
I mod my cars for me and take great pride in fixing/restoring little details on any of my cars.
So,let me turn the question back around to you,If I am swapping out the gears,why wouldn't I do something to make the cover look better?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Of course it wont be jacked up to where its a focal point of the Car.
But,I will know its there and done and look good.
I mod my cars for me and take great pride in fixing/restoring little details on any of my cars.
So,let me turn the question back around to you,If I am swapping out the gears,why wouldn't I do something to make the cover look better?
You present an excellent point.

I was just worried that we were headed down a road like this:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts