TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tinted the windows in my cars many times but the last time my driver's side has been a real problem. The bolts gave me a lot more trouble than usual getting caught in the holes each time I thought it was clear to remove the glass. Immediately after finishing the tint job it was apparent that the driver's side was slow moving and binding in a couple of spots. I have to use my hand to pull very hard up on the window it get it past the 70% mark where it'll usually close with ease.

I dealt with the issue for months just assuming that maybe the bushings had failed again already so when I finally pulled the motor out the bushings were deformed but not obliterated. I went ahead and replaced the bushings with nuts but it made no change in the operation of the window. I then figured it was just needing the proper lube after having used WD-40 after the bushings replacement because my silicone spray had vanished from my collection of spray cans. While the super slippery Liquid Wrench did help a little it didn't really make any major change.

Next on my list was to try replacing the motor but I happened upon another topic that mentioned adjusting the regulator or simply widening the track. I would go ahead and try that but there seems to be another issue related to this that may need a solution too. It sounds as if there is sand within the edge of the molding that the window sits in along the B-pillar side of the door. I'm wondering if I need any kind of different lube to help with that?

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
What were you spraying WD40 and Liquid Wrench on? Nothing rubber I hope. If so, that could be a big part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What were you spraying WD40 and Liquid Wrench on? Nothing rubber I hope. If so, that could be a big part of the problem.
I only sprayed the track of the regulator and I did go back over it with the Liquid Wrench since then. I'm not sure what's rubber in the door that you could've thought I had sprayed. The window channel I've left untouched but I'm asking if I should spray it with something.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm going to be in my doors this weekend working on the locks and wanted to lube the glass runs and rollers while I was in there. Since it seems salient to this thread and not a thread hijack what is the preferred lube for the tracks and rollers. And while we're at it is there still such a thing as weather strip lube? I know the ford shop manuals would always mention this in the door and glass sections. I suspect it's just plain old silicone spray of some type.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Mine were doing the same thing without tint. I used silicon spray inside the side / corner channel of the windows. They have been working great for 3+ months so far with no binding at all. I heard Honda dealers sell a specific silicon spray for just this reason.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, spraying the window channels with silicone almost made all of the difference. There's still a little binding in 2 spots but now the window can open and close without needing assistance. I'm sure everything will be golden after readjusting the window until I can finally get a new door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts