TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my damn window motors both went out well they wont go up or down with out alot of help...im not sure if its the regulators ,motors or just if it needs new gears......any help would be appreciated....thanx

·
Registered
64 Posts
overworked window motors

Sometimes the rubber "beltline" seal that runs along the bottom of the glass when the window is up can cause enough drag to slow the motor way down, or even trip the circuit breaker. The trick is to get the glass aligned so it doesn't drag too much on either the outside or inside lip of the seal.

With the door panel removed, you'll see a bolt with a 7/16" head--it's just rearward of the middle of the door near where the top of the panel fits. It slides about 3/4 of an inch in a vertical slot, moving a small cloth-covered rubber pad that pushes the glass out farther as the bolt travels along the slot. You can see this pad with the window down.

Put the window down about 3" so you can see where the top edge of the glass is riding, and fiddle with this adjustment. You may find you can get the window to drag a lot less. It also helps to spray some dry silicone type lubricant all along the channel that the top and sides of the glass seal against when the window is up

·
Registered
64 Posts
more windows

I should have said that yours may be different from my '91. But even if it is, there will probably be something similar--that's how they make that adjustment on most cars.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
its not the motor that fails, its the plastic bushings in the gearset. They are made to fail, its an easy service item. The motor doesnt always go out, the plastic rotating bushings do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my windows. After taking off the door panels I found nothing that restricted the operation of the windows , so I simply lubed the tracks with A lithium based grease and the problem ceased to exist.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
heh. mine seems to be off the track or something. it moves up and down... but if i only roll it down part ways on the drivers side.. i hit a bump, and it slides about 4-5 inches down... i can grab the top and move it up and down.. is this easily fixed... i'm not taking my door panels off for nothing...

·
Registered
519 Posts
if the window clicks when you try to move it you probally have to fix the insides of the motor. the plastic part is what im talkin about put two7/16 nuts stacked on top of eachother in each corner of the triangle. if you take apart the window motor you will see what im talkin about you need a torx, a phillipshead, and a 5/16", use some powertools! There is a plastic triangle with a metal triangle hooked up to it, normally there are plastic circles in the corners between the two, they eventually break. replace them with nuts and then they will never break. Watch out because these plastic circles are in there for a reason, like if someone got there arm stuck in the window, the plastic circles break instead of some dumbasses arm. I have nuts in all 3 tbirds i own, i kinda like the idea that i can inflict bodily harm with my window :D . I will do a writeup on this someday, hopefully they will list it in technical articles. If you want to be safe, ford sells rebuild kits for about $20 it's just some plastic circles for $20 just put in nuts they are cheaper and way more durable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
heh. mine seems to be off the track or something. it moves up and down... but if i only roll it down part ways on the drivers side.. i hit a bump, and it slides about 4-5 inches down... i can grab the top and move it up and down.. is this easily fixed... i'm not taking my door panels off for nothing...
If the motor and gearset is good, you need to remove the window regulator and check the weld at the center pivot point. Mine was doing this and the spring that is in there came loose. Every time you shut the door it sounded horrible. I just replaced the whole regulator assy with a jy assy for $40

·
Registered
73 Posts
I found those plastic bushings for about 2 bucks a set. When I saw them they were in the help! section at O'Reiley's (they're called window regulator gear plugs if I'm not mistaken). Apparently Ford used that same electric window motor in a bunch of cars, and they all started failing ten years later. Plastic part that cost Ford all of ten cents, two hours taking apart a door and a window motor to replace it!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i got my panel off now... i see tracks but no motor... inless i'm completly retarded and doesn't look like what i think it looks like
the motor is behind the door paneling.

·
Registered
493 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts