TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, trying to help a buddy get his 96 Cougar back into shape, and have a few issues w/ the power windows.

1. The drivers side seems to "pop out" when it's being rolled up and he has to pull on it and try to roll it up at the same time w/o smashing fingers. I haven't seen this myself, so not sure what he means. I guess when he's driving, the wind is moving the glass out of the track and it won't shut. Also stated that it sticks on the way up (kinda jumps up like it sticks and unsticks a few times)

2. The passenger side window just rolls up really slow, sometimes it will stop, and after you let off the button, you can try again and it will slowly go all the way up. I guess either it needs grease, or the motor is shot.

I'm no power window guru, and I rarely have the patience to mess w/ them, but I'll give it a shot this time. Any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

·
Registered
157 Posts
hey i am having similair problems too. my passenger window has difficultly rolling down. and it does not have a problem going up. I do not think its the motor becuase when the window is wet like after a rain shower or car wash it rolls down with no problem at all. I am quesing that the rubber guard needs to be replaced but not sure.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There could be several problems. One, the track could be messed up. Two, the motor could be going out. Three, the bearings could be going (they're only plastic).

You can get a window motor refresher kit from MN12Performance for cheap.

Try that first, if that doesn't fix it, then try the track/ motor.

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you forgot the regulator , it gets worn and doesnt like to go up and down smoothly

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That's what I meant, the kit on MN12Performance is a regulator rebuild kit.

Rebuild Kit

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I'll check it out. I'm gonna pull the door panels and see what I can find first. It may just need to be greased.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts