TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm looking into tinting the windows on my 91SC, I don't want to take it to a shop and pay $250 for 20% lol, I am looking into the "Pre-Cut" window kits for our cars, Anybody ever try them? If not i'll just get the tint from walmart haha, Anybody ever remove the front windows? Is it a pain?

I was looking at this one in particular:
http://www.precutautotint.com/cart.php?suggest=523786dd926fe

http://www.precutautotint.com/precuttint/Precut-All-Window-Tint-Kit-for-Ford-Thunderbird-1989-1997.html?gclid=CPPBt_b30LkCFYxcMgodYTAA3g

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
I personally wouldn't yank the windows, unless you have a spare set handy, lol.

You can leave the tint long, fold the weatherstrip up, and push the tint down past the edge; that's how the pros do it.

Removing it; If you get something in a bind, the window disappears, lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a shop do mine here - they actually had a Groupon special for $125

Only thing that would ever concern me on the 'tbirds is the rear window - this was the cars second round of tinting, first shop couldn't even get the rear window as a single piece, and this last shop took them some time to get it in (and they are the pro's)

I did my own tint removal - back window was a lost cause, acetone, adhesive removal, lacquer thinner, razor blade, and steam wouldn't touch it. Ended up easier to replace the window with a junkyard one (factory glass $40 with glass + glue to install) Side windows were't to bad carefully using a razor blade.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Be careful on the precut. I got some from Ebay that was crap, it was so thin it tore trying to peel it off. I did get some quality 3m laser cut and it was good. Need to be careful with precut since once you start squeegeeing it you can't move it. It needs to be perfectly centered when you start.

You have more forgiveness on the sheets since you cut it about 1/4 too big all the way around and then trim it.

Don't even try to do it with the windows removed. The back will be the biggest pain as you will probably need to do it in strips unless you are good with a heat gun. I paid $60 for a guy to do the rear in one piece and then did the rest myself.

Depending on the tint laws in your state, some professionals will not violate that. I believe most states won't let you do 20% on the front windows.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
I've seen the Troopers here hand someone a razor blade for tint that was too dark; and they got a ticket. :)

I heard the Trooper say "We can tow the car, and remove it at your expense if you like."

I'm sure they can, it's a safety thing; mostly theirs, lol.

:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good point. I have heard of troopers in Alabama hassling people. The law in Alabama is 35% all around.

I have 20% on the back and the rear quarters and 30% on the fronts. I figure since I brought the car from Florida I can plead ignorance. I have also been told they can only measure windows that roll down.

I see some people with 5% and seem to get away with it around here. I put 5% on my bird front windows by mistake once. I could not even see out at night without rolling the window down so I peeled it off and went with 20% and have since replaced it with 30%.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it, I wasn't going to remove the windows but it was a thought depending on how "hard" it was. As for tint laws you could basically get away with anything around here, I have 20% on the front windows on my single cab f150 & 2% going across the back window, I love it only because I rarely have to look out the back window. I was thinking just going 5% on the rear and 20% on the doors, Im not sure yet tho, I had 20% all the way around and it looked good but wasn't dark enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
The door windows are not hard to remove at all. Once the door panel is off, roll the window down a little bit and there are 2 nuts, I think they were either 10 or 11mm, and then the window comes up, tilt the front of it down a bit, and then pull it up and out of the door. It should take less than an hour to get both front windows out. I don't know how much easier that will make it to do the tint, but it is an option. As others have said though, you need to leave it alone for at least 24 hours after the tint is installed before you re-install them, so unless you have some spare windows to install, or a garage to keep the car in for a couple days, you will have to leave the car there with no front windows in it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The door windows are not hard to remove at all. Once the door panel is off, roll the window down a little bit and there are 2 nuts, I think they were either 10 or 11mm, and then the window comes up, tilt the front of it down a bit, and then pull it up and out of the door. It should take less than an hour to get both front windows out. I don't know how much easier that will make it to do the tint, but it is an option. As others have said though, you need to leave it alone for at least 24 hours after the tint is installed before you re-install them, so unless you have some spare windows to install, or a garage to keep the car in for a couple days, you will have to leave the car there with no front windows in it.
Ahhh... Ic, Well hmm... I guess I should focus on getting my car back on the road from the accident first lol, Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Ahhh... Ic, Well hmm... I guess I should focus on getting my car back on the road from the accident first lol, Thanks for the input guys
For the price it costs to do it right you could have a professional shop do it with 3m or Johnson's marathon film and have a warranty.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
For the price it costs to do it right you could have a professional shop do it with 3m or Johnson's marathon film and have a warranty.
That's what I did..The "pro's" at Pro Tint did a custom tint job for me..With a lifetime warranty.. :)

IIRC it was $125..

If you plan on keeping the car..You might as well do it right..

Hey..Good luck getting your SC back in order too..

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
If you do tint your own, make sure to use clear finger nail polish around the edges when you're finished.

It will keep it from getting caught and peeling off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I paid $220 to get mine done professionally and by the time you get done trying to do them yourself you'll have wished you just paid the money to have them done by someone else professionally, it's kind of like painting your own car yourself, it will either come out real good or real bad, no inbetween, besides what's a few hundred bucks when it will definately enhance the look of your car, made a bid difference to me.

I went the darkest I could on the back and within the legal limit on the front. The worst thing is if you are trying to back up the car in the middle of the night and you realize you can hardly see s$#! behind you that part sucks. So I rather drive it during the day, but it does help if someone behind you is using their brights or their headlights are way too bright on low as you never are phased by it.

Mine is not a daily driver anyway more of a novelty fun thing for me to have, just make sure if you clean the inside of the window after the tint job is done you use amonia free glass cleaner or it will change your window tint and make it look like crap, best thing is don't let anyone ride in your car and do your best not to smudge the inside windows, I use dash wipes and no spray to detail the inside and do my best to never touch the window.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i hope this isnt coming too late, but do yourself a favor and check the tint lows in your area before you put tint on the car. and when you get the film, if you plan on doing the job yourself, dont start with one of those precut kits as often times you will need to do some shrinking of the film anyway as well as some trimming of the film, so best to get some large general shaped pieces and work from there. shrinking modern film is fairly easy with a heat gun, just be aware not to overheat the film.

when cleaning the glass for the new film, you will need to use a razor blade and lots of soap and water to get the glass operating room clean. the rear glass is going to be the hardest to do if you have defroster wires, you cant use a razor blade, but some 0000 steel wool works well and doesnt scratch the glass. pay close attention that you get all the old glue off the glass, and also make sure you get ALL the film layers off the glass. most films have the glue layer, a clear layer to support the color layer. some films have as many as twenty layers of film pressed together according to my friend in the business.

the best films to use are either 3M or formula one, and the company that makes formula one makes 3m also. i prefer formula one pinnacle series film. it is not dyed, and it is a ceramic film that has excellent uv protect, and heat rejection properties.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had 3 cars done in the last 4 years never paid more than $125 to have it done at a tint shop,well worth it, I did my own when I was younger ( one was Chrome..you can't get away with that no more) it's easy to mess up, dirt specks, crinkles, and such. The guys that do it every day know the little tricks, as in anything. It's easy to require more material than you actually need.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had 3 cars done in the last 4 years never paid more than $125 to have it done at a tint shop,well worth it, I did my own when I was younger ( one was Chrome..you can't get away with that no more) it's easy to mess up, dirt specks, crinkles, and such. The guys that do it every day know the little tricks, as in anything. It's easy to require more material than you actually need.
the best advice, leave it to the pros. i watch my friend do tints and realize that while i could probably do the job, i could do it no where near as good as he can, nor as fast as he can.

·
Registered
134 Posts
All the "tint pro's" around here are asking 200+ just to tint my car... It kinda pisses me off lol
yeah, i understand your position, but realize that is $200 well spent. first you dont have to worry about getting illegal tint, as proper installers wont do illegal tint. second you get a warranty on the tint, and depending on where you go it is a lifetime warranty, which means when the tint gets old and is ready to be replaced, its done under warranty so you wont pay that next $200 unless you change cars. third you know the job is done right, and it wont peel up every time you roll down or up the windows as it ages. you also get a quality film, especially if you look for an installer that uses formula one film, and get the pinnacle series film, it is the best.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah, i understand your position, but realize that is $200 well spent. first you dont have to worry about getting illegal tint, as proper installers wont do illegal tint. second you get a warranty on the tint, and depending on where you go it is a lifetime warranty, which means when the tint gets old and is ready to be replaced, its done under warranty so you wont pay that next $200 unless you change cars. third you know the job is done right, and it wont peel up every time you roll down or up the windows as it ages. you also get a quality film, especially if you look for an installer that uses formula one film, and get the pinnacle series film, it is the best.
I agree with the above comment, though the cost may seem expensive, you do receive the benefit of peace of mind knowing that the work has been done to high standards in terms of quality and legality. So, it's best to invest art the onset instead of having to worry later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts