TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,this evening I first removed the lower rear window trim across the back easily enough, found by rotating the plastic clips they canme apart pretty easily. Then I removed the old trim with the dry, cracked rubber and cleaned the area and applied some wax, and installed the new one by sliding one end in under the side trim, then working the other end in place, then centering it and simply slipping the old clips back in place, I put the bag of new clips in the glove box at bottom for future use. Sure looked better! ;)

Then I popped the interior plugs out, used a 9mm socket, carefully removed the one nut inside the car that attaches the top side trim near the top of the back glass on each side, and used a screw driver and pad to work the top trim piece up and out, it just goes under the two side trim piece a little bit. It came out easily and I cleaned the area and applied wax again, and slipped the new trim piece in place across the top of the back glass, centered it, gently slapped it with my hand down into the clips, and then installed the nuts and tightened the side pieces back in place, and slipped the plugs in place. Looks GREAT now. :cool:

I have a third piece for the top of the windshield, but I'll save it for when I have a new windshield installed to get rid of all those scratches, looks like the wipers were made of sandpaper. :(

Both doors shut perfectly (I did shim up the bottom hinge on the drivers door a while back with a 1/8" piece of aluminum cut to the same size as the base of the hinge at the door and drilled two holes in it, loosened both bolts up, remove one, slip shim in place while lifting door with small jack and wood block, then install that bolt and remove other one and slide shim in there too, then snug both up after removing jack and test shut door.). Passenger door was also quiet, but the driver's door always had a rattle that rattled only when the glass was all the way up. Original owner said it always did it as long as she could remember too. It was very irritating to me and so tonight I pulled interior panel off and peeled back the plastic rain shield to get to the guts. I found a loose lower rear track I repaired (saw track laying in door bottom but window worked OK, saw bracket mounted, two small spot welds had let go sometime past. I repaired by removing each part, removing rubber window track, and using welds to align it, drilled two holes one at a time where spot weld was and installing 3/16" stainless steel pop rivets with head inside track, used spacer on anvil stem 'cause nose of puller wouldn't fit in track. They'll hold better than those spot welds.) ... but I still had rattle when glass was rolled all the way up only. Finally, after lengthy process, found the rattle was a loose clock spring in the window mechanism, it was just loose enough to not hold tension when totally relaxed. I was able to get a couple wire ties in there to secure the hook end of the spring to the tab restraining it so no rattle, now .... when the door is shut with the window up or down, it's solid sounding, no rattles. ;)

I just thought it might help someone else find a simular rattle.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took it out to supper the other night, a fellow trooper commented on the new rear window trim and how much better she looked now.

Folks notice stuff! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts