TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger window has been giving me trouble lately - and today, it stopped working altogether.

I have not taken apart the door yet to see, but I have my suspicions as to what it may be.

The switch has been cutting out, and works intermittently. There is a sound coming from the door when the switch is pressed, like when you try to pull the window down when it's already at the bottom.

Anybody know what part I'll need to replace?

2 weeks ago it was the Marquis window regulator, now my Cougar's giving me greif :mad:.

·
Registered
240 Posts
my 97 'Bird did something like that...

My drivers window acted like that. I took the door panel off and lubed the track and it has worked fine ever since. I noticed my window would only work properly when it rained or I washed the car. It would usually go UP just fine but going down it would stick and groan really bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hehe

I guess i gave up on mine.. neither driver nor passanger go up or down.. i've lubed and everything.. my sunroof is the same way.. so any info on help would be appreciated.. I about to just get two new doors hehe...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you hear a sound when the switch is pressed most likely the plastic worm gear is now stripped. If nothing happened I would say it's the switch> I've done both and it's not hard to replace. The motor and gearbox come as a unit though so plan on a few bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
how hard..

how hard is it to change those gears? how much do they cost and what do i ask autozone i need? Ive asked autozone before and they said they didn't know what it was.. so whatever..lol if anyway you can email me with detailed instruction in laymens terms thanks... [email protected]

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The window motor and gears are all on piece so you would need the motor. I think it may be a dealer item but I'm not sure. Pull your door panel off (there is a screw under the light lens in the bottom corner and then one under the switch panel (you can gently pry the switch panl out with a flat screwdriver. After the two screws are out pull straight up on the panel to remove it. You can then feel the motor to see if it is running and not going anywhere. The motor is held on with 3 bolts (if I remember correctly they are star drive) Good luck and post any other questions you have so everyone can benefit

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woo-Hoo!!! MY problems with my window are fixed :).

I grabed a spare window switch that I had laying around, and installed it - and wouldn't you know - the window works GREAT, and also works from the driver's door too :).

What causes a switch to go bad like that? THe car does nothing but sit 98% of the time....

BTW - carry on with this post, I'm done with it - but I hope you guys all get your window problems solved too :).

Thanks!

Kevin.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I think the biggest reason they go bad is that the don't use a relay....the full current goes through the switch.

·
Registered
855 Posts
windows groan a little when i lower them after the window reaches about halfway down,.........go up fine........anyone know what my prob could be? i lubed them up but that didn't seem to help too much......

I

·
0 Posts
a question for you, merc

Did you replace the switch on the passenger door or the driver's, Merc? I'm having a similar problem that I can't diagnose, so I'm ready to try replacing switches at this point. Let me know. Thanks!!

ice_nyne

--------------------
'90 V6 Bird
No mods, no upgrades

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yessir -

The window wouldn't opperate at all from the driver's door, but I could reach over and hit the switch on the passenger door - and it'd work. Then, over the course of a day it started giving me lots of grief, and then stopped working.

I have a few switches from the 2 parts MN12's I've had over the years, and tried them out. The passenger window works great now, no troubles, and ALSO opperates from the driver's door switch (which I didn't touch), and that saves me from having to reach over to lower it :)!

Good luck with yours, and post about it when you fix it, eh!

Kevin.

I

·
0 Posts
wouldn't you know it...

Well Merc, your problem may have helped shed light on my own. Like I said in the above post, I've had a passenger window problem as well, so I did some tests with a multitester on the switch and all related wires running to the window motor, and wouldn't you know it -- turns out I had a wonky passenger switch as well. $16 and one new switch later, power to the motor!! Woo hoo!! Thanks for telling us the solution to your problem, Merc. It may never have dawned on me that the problem on my Bird was the same.

One problem begets another, however. :D While trying to diagnose the power problem, one thing I did was replace the passenger window motor (thinking that was the problem). For the life of me, I can not get the gears on the window motor to line up with the gears on the regulator!! I have posted regarding this before, with no solution. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems like there's something missing from the motor -- the gears on the face of the motor seem too small to match up with the gears on the regulator. Is there some plastic overlay or something that helps the connection? I need help!!!

If somebody wants to email me privately and tell me what I could be doing wrong, or differently, that would be appreciated. People are probably tired of seeing my idiot posts by now. Thanks.

ice-nyne
[email protected]
-----------------------------
90 V6 Bird -- no mods, no upgrades

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem for the 'help' :)!

As for your problem with getting the gears to line up - I have no idea :confused: - I've only taken them apart, never put them back together :D!

Try starting a new post, people aren't sick of hearing your problems, just reading this topic :p.

I

·
0 Posts
dealer stocked

Local Ford dealer in Long Beach had them in stock...$16 a pop

ice-nyne
------------------
90 V6 Bird - no mods, no upgrades

·
Registered
102 Posts
94birdnj said:
windows groan a little when i lower them after the window reaches about halfway down,.........go up fine........anyone know what my prob could be? i lubed them up but that didn't seem to help too much......
My '97 does the same thing on the driver's side. It's playing havoc with my aftermarket alarm window controller -- gets halfway down and then stops because the motor's drawing too much current. Have to press the window switch about four times to get it to go the rest of the way down (the controller added the one-touch up/down feature which the Bird didn't have).

I'm guessing that I need to replace the motor. Tried greasing the tracks and oiling the mechanism/regulator but didn't help any. I thought is was lube related as it seems to go away after a rain or on cooler days.

I couldn't see any easy access route for getting the old motor out and putting the new motor in. Maybe you're supposed to take out the in-door speaker to gain access to the motor. I didn't find any service info on replacing the motor on my Ford shop CD-ROM.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't been inside the door of an MN12 for a while, but don't remember it being overly difficult to get the motor out.

What I do remember though, is the scissor design of the lift mechanism. It works the hardest at the 1/2 way point because they're flat, and starting to cross over eachother. Hard to explain, but because of that slow down in the middle, it may be your motor.

BTW - welcome to TCCOA :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts