TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this yesterday on my desktop that I run Windows 7 on..

Next month it appears there's going to be a Windows 10 Upgrade available..

Has anyone had a sneak peek on what it's going to be like compared to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1??

I'm not keen on fixing something that's not broken.. :zdunno:

Rayo..

·
Administrator
8,102 Posts
I've heard you have a year to upgrade, so watch carefully my friend! :evil3:

Joe

·
Registered
605 Posts
Been running windows 10 for a few months now. Works great it's like windows 7 and 8.1 had a baby. Start button is back and everything. Also brings dx12 to the table that's a huge leap if your a gammer. I would take the upgrade it's worth it.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
The little icon in the system tray can be removed if you want by uninstalling Windows Update KB3035583, FWIW.

That said... I think it's time I bit the bullet and installed the latest preview build on one of my spare laptops to see how well it's likely to cope with the applications I use. I'll need to migrate eventually, so hopefully this will help me determine on which machines it's worth going the free upgrade route on in the first year.

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
My thoughts:

• Cortana is creepy
  • Facial recognition in "Windows Hello" is Orwellian.
  • Edge looks interesting - it has Cortana built in so that the NSA can even more easily track you every thought and move
  • XBox Live included for direct gameplay (a ploy to plug XBox or at least make those who bought the XBox system already feel less foolish)
Mark your calander for July 29 ... Big Brother is counting on you!

Look closely at, and consider carefully the (lack of) privacy policy permission agreement - Granted these excerpts are from the technical preview version, there's a good chance that these permissions - in one form or another - will carry over with the full version. So, review the privacy policy permissions carefully before deciding.

Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

“We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility [and] use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

So, they want to record and track everything you say; that’ a little more intrusive, and it leads to:

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.”

So, basically, Microsoft is saying that they can—and basically will—look at your screen at any time and record every single one of your keystrokes.

http://www.dumb-out.net/microsoft-windows-10-big-brother/8161

·
Registered
410 Posts
I plan to run it on my thinkpad T510. I will be getting 10 Pro due to the pre-installed OS being 7 Pro. 8gb of ram and a 512mb NVS 3100m will help keep it running win 10 for a while.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I loaded it on my spare T61p last night. Seems responsive enough considering I tossed an old 100 GB drive in it; UI changes will take a little getting used to but coming from XP to 7, it shouldn't be any more difficult. Need to load some of my programs and see how well they all run next.

Of all my TPs, I would consider loading it on my T420, possibly my abused-daily T61p and/or the for-work T60. Probably the desktops. All depends how it runs all apps.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Been running the preview awhile now on a spare drive. It basically fixes everything I dislike about 8.0-8.1.

I don't have any use for DX12 or Cortana. I'm a Audio guy with a mic locker. But not ones plugged into my desktop ;)

It will be interesting to see if it offers me free upgrades. All my copies of Win7 are old TechNet Copies from when I was doing some hardware qualification and beta testing.

I'm not keen on the fact that Win10 looks to be moving to a subscription model from what I've been reading. Although I will say having a Mac that giving free upgrades to everyone running Win7 or higher makes a ton of sense form a security and support stand point. It's nice to add features and move up without paying a dime. Now they just need to stop offering 10 SKUs.....

Win10 has been extremely stable here. Not one crash since the preview started.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've been running WX TP on my main gaming machine since I finished the build a few months ago. It's come a long way so far, and is probably one of the more stable and nicest to use OS's Microsoft has released. I feel it lacks good graphical feeling, like the way Windows 7 looked and felt, it was visually pleasing and very easy to access programs. I like WX's DX12 and I am looking forward to the integration of PC to Xbox One, which will finally allow PC users to play with Xbox users and vis versa, it also allows Xbox CD's to be used in Windows computers, which eliminates the need for a PC user to purchase an Xbox.

Overall I like the operating system, and it is a HUGE step up from windows 8/8.1, but I feel it lacks the accessibility and visual pleasure of using Windows 7 which was Simple and elegant.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I've run into a few oddities and bugs in 10130 on my T61p... First time it booted after setup it didn't give me a shell after 30 minutes (had to alt+tab to get to it). Second time it didn't want to let me unlock it (hard reset). Third time Explorer locked up - hard - after logging in (hard reset). Fourth time it hibernated instead of shutting down. :rolleyes: Note: all is stable running Win7, so it's not the hardware. Maybe it's poor driver support for this old relic. :)

I'm willing to move to it (so far) if ONLY because eventually Win7 will be killed off...

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'm curious to see how Win 8 will work on devices with limited RAM.
Two devices I would consider upgrading: My Venue 8 Pro tablet (2GB) and my HTPC (old Opteron-based machine with a recently upgraded GPU but only 2GB of RAM).

Both systems work fine with win 8 but I'm curious if feature creep will make Win 10 run dog slow on them.
-g

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm curious to see how Win 8 will work on devices with limited RAM.
Two devices I would consider upgrading: My Venue 8 Pro tablet (2GB) and my HTPC (old Opteron-based machine with a recently upgraded GPU but only 2GB of RAM).

Both systems work fine with win 8 but I'm curious if feature creep will make Win 10 run dog slow on them.
-g

A buds got the Venue 8 Pro and it's pretty impressive with 2GB. He's a software development weenie that works at Harmon now and used to work at Digidesign. I believe he uses VirtualBox on the VenuePro and it works well enough. Other than Vista which had Server 2003's memory management swapped in at the 11th hour due to a memory leak issue Microsofts managed to reduce the memory requirements on each subsequent release - as I recall - except for 64 bit versions. EG Windows7 was perfectly happy running on XP machines. To run Vista would have required essentially doubling the RAM. This is why so many companies skipped Vista entirely and migrated to Win7. Microsoft knows that in order to truly succeed they need to be able to run Windows10' across tablets, phones, and desktops. And they've gotten pretty good at that from a resources stand point. I'm willing to bet if it runs win7,8 or 8.1 it will be just fine.

10 installed just fine on my old quad core desktop. A former DAW. The only driver it felt it needed to download was the ATI beta Win10 driver which has been just fine. No crashes yet. Not one. Its not that I've been using it full time mind you. Just playing around. But I like what I see. It also makes me smile that my old Q6600 is still chugging along nearly a decade later. There's a lot to be said for being able to update your graphics card, RAM and wireless card to the latest specs. If you have a Opteron you probably realize this too. I'm assuming your Opteron uses registered RAM. It probably wouldn't be too expensive to double or quadruple the RAM depending on the vintage. If your planning on playing back HiDef content it couldn't hurt. They churn servers quite frequently these days since the newest stuff supports virtualization much better and they can consolidate servers and save big money on electric and cooling requirements.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I had another computer to experiment with..Just to see how this would run on my Windows 7 desktop..

I just bought my Windows 7 desktop last year because they phased out current updates for Windows XP..So far Windows 7 has been great too..

I've even been able to use some of my XP programs on my 7 desktop..

Everyone that's made the switch to Windows 10 keep reporting back here with all the good, and bad things you've ran into by upgrading to Windows 10..

Thanks..

Rayo..

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wish I had another computer to experiment with..Just to see how this would run on my Windows 7 desktop..

I just bought my Windows 7 desktop last year because they phased out current updates for Windows XP..So far Windows 7 has been great too..

Everyone that's made the switch to Windows 10 keep reporting back here with all the good, and bad things you've ran into by upgrading to Windows 10..

Thanks..

Rayo..
My advice with any OS upgrade is to buy a spare drive and do clean install to that or clone your existing drive and upgrade that. Keep the old drive as a spare/backup just in case something goes wrong. But I'm cautious and I have plenty of room for drives. And spare drives. If I really like it I'll finally buy a SSD. I've already bought the PCIe add in card for it. My chipset is pretty vintage :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
My advice with any OS upgrade is to buy a spare drive and do clean install to that or clone your existing drive and upgrade that. Keep the old drive as a spare/backup just in case something goes wrong. But I'm cautious and I have plenty of room for drives. And spare drives. If I really like it I'll finally buy a SSD. I've already bought the PCIe add in card for it. My chipset is pretty vintage :D
SSDs are amazing. I sold my 128gb 840 Pro to a friend for 45 bucks and used the money for 2 Sandisk 128GB SSDs ($50ea for 120GB) for Raid 0. Might be over kill. But my case is made for showing off 2 SSDs not just one. Looks are almost as important as functionality to me :tongue:

Thanks..

Rayo..
I've ran the technical preview with no hiccups whatsoever. It runs really nicely and is basically like what 8 should have been from the beginning. I would personally recommend it to anyone willing to adapt early. Plus Microsoft just confirmed that you get a full upgrade key for being on the technical preview.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm planning to pull it down, but not for immediate install. Then I'll either do a VM install or a spare hard drive. I like the cloning idea though.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The main thing that will prevent me from upgrading my system is I want to see what Win 10 will cost in year 2. I can always upgrade in early 2016 when by that time MSFT will have announced any future intentions.

While they have stated that the primary reason for offering the upgrade for FREE is to get a "critical mass" of users on Win 10 as quickly as possible, I'm still skeptical as to whether or not they will move to a subscription/term license model for Win (much like XBOX Live Gold). Personally, if I was MSFT's CEO, that's what I'd do.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/

While I might be OK with that for a new PC (since i would know what I'm getting into), it would really annoy me if i moved from a previously free OS (Win 7 or even crappy Win 8.1) to one that cost money every year.

-g

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
Apparently it is indeed "Free for life". The caveats were a bit confusing at first but I think the details have been clarified.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/29/windows-10-release-date-new-free-upgrade-rules/2/

Who Gets Windows 10 Free?

Customers running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if the upgrade is performed within one year of release.

Microsoft stresses this does not mean Windows 10 is ‘free for one year’ it means those who upgrade to Windows 10 within one year will have it free for life.

Who Doesn't get Windows 10 for Free?

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Exceptions:

But not every Windows 7 or 8.1 user will get a free upgrade. ‘Enterprise’ editions of both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are excluded from the upgrade offer, though ‘Pro’ editions are included.

Windows Vista, Windows XP and Pirate Copies

Much confusion has surrounded owners of Vista, XP and pirated copies of any version of Windows because Windows 10 can be installed on their machines and it appears to give them a legitimate copy.

This was made worse by a Microsoft statement that said “the plan to allow free upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets”. The plan therefore appeared to be simple: join the Windows 10 beta program and get a free, legitimate copy of Windows 10.

Not so fast.

Microsoft has since confirmed all three categories of user are excluded from the free plan and beta versions of Windows 10 will call upon them to purchase the software once the final version is released.
To sum it up:

You get it for free - for life - if you're running Windows 7 or 8.1 AND you upgrade to Windows 10 within a year of its release.

Those who jumped in and sold their souls (privacy) to the devil and ran the Beta version with the Orwellian (lack of) privacy policy that I outlined above in hopes of getting it for free when others would have to pay, well ... other than getting an early look at the OS was it really worth it? Because now nearly everyone is getting it for free regardless of having run the Beta or not. I can only hope that the full version privacy policy is much less Orwellian. We'll see ...

Again, the exceptions to the "Free" upgrade are:
  • Owners / Users of Enterprise editions of Win 7 and Win 8.1
  • Owners / Users of Windows RT
  • Owners / Users of Windows Vista or Windows XP - even those who are participating in the Windows 10 Beta program.
  • Users of Pirated Copies - even those who are participating in the Win 10 Beta program.
So, as it currently stands those are the rules.

Here's a handy upgrade version to version chart to show which Windows 10 edition you're eligible for.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-from-windows-7-or-windows-8-2015-6

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have been running it in a VM (virtual box) on my MBP (gotta love 500gb SSD and 16gigs of RAM) and it is much better than Windows 8/8.1. I am a Windows XP fan for its light weight and comfortable with navigation and tweaks/power toys. Win 7 runs better on better higher end hardware (I still have Athlon X2s and Core Duos, or Chromeboxes with Celerons), but I will likely move on up to Windows 10.

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
As an aside - I am now on a slightly slower, one less core CPU (2 core vis my other machine's 3 cores) running Win 7 64bit and 8G RAM, my previous is XP with 4G RAM. Due to the load I run (it wasn't uncommon for Task Manager to state that 5.5G of my 3.5G usable was in use ... ), the new machine is NOTICEABLY faster than my old one ... and yes, this was at least in part to get ready for Win X.

RwP

1 - 20 of 135 Posts