TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which operating you like the most and why. I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet and still using Windows which I think is the best.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The real question is 7 or 10. 10 v 8 is no brainier 10--it works more than 8 and 7 works more than either one.

Me personally I see no benefit to 10 yet, now when the next gen Intel chips (Kaby lake) come out there will be something to gain (Microsoft will not support the chip on 7 ). Until then IMO 7 is hands down better an even after that it may not be work upgrading to 10 and Kaby. Windows 10 is not playing well with high end hardware and with mandatory update don't be surprised if it brakes your system.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Stick with the OS the computer shipped with.

I have a 3 year old laptop with 10 on it now, came with 8, and got the upgrade to 8.1. I never had an issue with 8 as I don't worry about the start menu much. 10 runs fine on this machine, but little things like the keyboard driver act up and it types slowly on the built in keyboard. I'm an IT guy by trade, so I generally upgrade, but the upgrade to 10 has had a few more issues on this machine that I've had to hunt down and fix. On new machines, 10 all day long. It works fine.

I'm halfway tempted to go down to windows 8.1 on this machine in the near future, but I'm trying to justify getting the office to pony up a new one for me.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Stick with the OS the computer shipped with.
Generally I'd agree with this but going back to 8, to me is like going back to ME, at least 8.1 worked.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
I bought several copies of 7 from amazon; two worked so far, lol.

They're still out there. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Generally I'd agree with this but going back to 8, to me is like going back to ME, at least 8.1 worked.
I did mean 8.1, lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think windows 10 is great...if you have a computer that is still competitive in specs. My laptop, which is mostly used for work related stuff and face book, etc... Works fine but I do have a very slow startup time with 10 vs 7. It has been upgraded to 8gb ram and a 750gb 7200rpm hard drive which help alot, but the poor 1.3ghz processor was sad in itself when the computer was new ($300 laptop). I had several issues with driver compatibility that I had to correct, one of which completely disabling the mouse making it quite hard to navigate.. and the "Cortana" feature does not work. Once I spent 2 days getting it sorted out though, it's run pretty smoothly. Just takes 5-10 minutes to boot up. It was faster with the old program but I think that's just due to the limitations of the machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally suggest Linux, especially if you aren't a hardcore gamer. However, I predominately use Windows 10 on my PC. I built my own PC and started with windows 7. I skipped the 8 update, but did jump to windows 8.1, for about a week. I did a bunch of upgrades a few months back. Ok, fine, it was more like jacking up the radiator cap and replacing everything else. After doing so I upgraded to windows 10. As many have mentioned, my issues came in the form of driver compatibility for things like my audio device on the mobo and my graphics card. After reinstalling the drivers though, everything has been smooth sailing. Which is quite the trick for Windows if I'm to be honest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts