TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using XP Pro 64? Horror stories, or tips? :confused:

Just a question I was thinking about trying it out..

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was thinking about it too, but I may hold off untill it's out for a year and bugs are worked out...........anyone using it?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I get it for shipping so I'll probbaly be getting it in a few days...

- Pelezo

·
Registered
425 Posts
we got it at our store about 2 weeks ago. its not much to go goo goo gah gah for but u can notice the difference of performance between home or Pro compared to the 64-bit edition. i ran it on my P4 just to see how it would handle a 32-bit and it ran my processor a lil more cooler for the fact that it doesnt use too much cpu usage to open applications. i also put a cpu monitor on and noticed it idled a lot longer then home or pro like about 2 minutes idle compared to the 20-30 seconds i use to get before. so is it worth it? of course. if u have a AMD 64 u will be blessed

·
Registered
974 Posts
is there any compability issues with the 64bit os and any programs or games? I'm just hesitiant becuase whenever a new os is released there are usually some pretty big bugs initially.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ohh noo. the 64bit is pretty much the same architechture as any of the other xp os, but the way that it handles memory and your cpu is more efficient for 64 bit cpus rather then a 32bit os. i ghosted all my games and apps over when i loaded my 64 and i havent had a hitch yet and i play pretty new games liek counter strike source and joint ops. running photoshop and illustrator isnt a problem either. so u shouldnt run into anything thats gonna get u stuck. im sure their are some games/apps/programs that dont run in 64 but thats goot a be some old *** stuff

·
Registered
974 Posts
did you have to reformatt or will it install over the 32 bit os? I just set up my new PC and don't feel like going through and completely reinstalling everything.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i took a different hard drive, did the 64bit load on that one, transfered all my data over to that hard drive from mine, slated my hard drive to get rid of all the old data, then ghosted all my info from the other hard drive bcak to mine.

·
Registered
974 Posts
yea.......that's what I did on my old computer set up........i think I'll hold off for a while. I have all of my stuff on two raid 0 80 gig sata drives. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Because I usually custom build my own computer from scratch and buy the best of each part, however, due to $$$ restrictions I had to finance a new computer (eMachines T6212) which has the AMD64 3200 in it, so it only included XP Home (64x wasn't released yet) so anyone who bought a 64 Bit Edition computer gets the windows 64x free (if you pay for shipping).

- Pelezo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts