TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the molding parts have been discontinued what solutions have been used to repair or replace them? Mine are down to the metal on a 1996 Thunderbird. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Sand 'em down, prime, and paint them. Been five years since I did mine, and still looking great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't really have any weatherproofing function does it? It used to have a slight lip that didn't leave any reveal. Now it has about a 1/16" to an 1/8" gap on the back top one. Did you paint them while on the car?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't think they provide any weatherproofing, or at least I hope they don't. All of mine are deteriorated to the point that all the rubber seals on them are gone, along with the rubberized coating. They are the bane of my car's exterior but I've given up any hope of finding new ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the best thing to do is sand and paint then. They don't help my cars appearance either. I've had her since she was new and sadly watched as parts are discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Since the molding parts have been discontinued what solutions have been used to repair or replace them? Mine are down to the metal on a 1996 Thunderbird. Thanks.
Hit the 4 local junk yards frequently. With some luck' you'll find them.
gl

·
Registered
183 Posts
My back glass upper molding (The lower one has started to show cracks also) has finally started to peel away in chips -- the flaking and pieces are actually the thickness of corn chips. I thought having a California car would exclude my car from such a common occurrence of these moldings on MN12s,but I did not escape such fate.

I'm waiting for more of the upper molding to peel before I address it. I wonder what process they used.Those flakes coming off are really thick.

I was hoping to take it off,give it a good sanding,and paint it,but it seems to go under the rear roof drip molding,so I'll paint it on the car. Too much trouble otherwise.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
FranklinMint said:
My back glass upper molding (The lower one has started to show cracks also) has finally started to peel away in chips -- the flaking and pieces are actually the thickness of corn chips. I thought having a California car would exclude my car from such a common occurrence of these moldings on MN12s,but I did not escape such fate.
If anything the Western climate or just HEAT in general is worse on the mouldings..

Not to say it doesn't happen here where it's cooler..Our climate doesn't lasagna the mouldings quite so bad though.. :tongue:

Rayo..

·
Registered
183 Posts
If anything the Western climate or just HEAT in general is worse on the mouldings..

Not to say it doesn't happen here where it's cooler..Our climate doesn't lasagna the mouldings quite so bad though.. :tongue:

Rayo..
Rayo: What exactly are these particular moldings painted with? It seems like they were coated in some kind of rubber,which eventually cracks.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
It was probably manufactured using some type of heated stamped procedure to create those nice rubber seals, but that's just a guess, I don't really know anything about manufacturing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts