TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousins 93 Cougar has a small crack on the pass. side windshield. It seems to be slowly spreading to the drivers side. He cannot afford a new windshield either. Is there a way to halt the spreading? I have tried superglue, it worked for me once, but not this time.

W.Cup

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was told by a windshield repair place that if it's smaller than a quarter, then it can be repaired by an injection method...otherwise, new windshield time. That was many moons ago, maybe there's some newer technology now...otherwise, it's just going to keep spreading and spidering.

K

·
0 Posts
yup, there is new technology......... its called full glass coverage on your insurance policy!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
LOL That's what I have...no deductible comprehensive. Used it a couple of times already on multiple cars...courtesy of the Illinois Tollway System and gravel trucks.

No Deductible Comprehensive...Don't leave home without it!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Places in vermont will pay your deductable. WHY? they get paid $900 to put in a $200 piece of glass.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have your cousin call his insurance .....

Some windshield companies will even waive the deductible. The company that fixed my wifes car waived the deduct and came out to the house to fix it. If your cousin doesn't have insurance,...then slap him up side the head!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Supposedly (as I've never tried or seen this), you can drill a hole at the END of the crack, only through the 1st sheet of glass, to the 'rubber' barrier between the 2 sheets that make up a windsheild.

How it works - it leaves the crack no place to spread to.

Now, I've NEVER done this, nor will I as I have a good insurance policy. But, you asked for suggestions, and as you have nothing to lose - give it a shot :).

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ive had a windsheild crack and me and my father drilled a small hole in front of the end of the crack, the crack will grow more as you put pressure on the windsheild to drill. Drill VERY carefully and it will work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your insurance coverage...

I had a crack in my windshield about 6 weeks ago that just appeared overnight. It started at the bottom middle and wound its way in the form of a question mark, spreading toward the passenger side. Fortunately my insurance covers glass repair/replacement and WAIVES THE DEDUCTIBLE. Of course this varies from state to state and insurance provider to insurance provider.

Another note on this: it doesn't (or shouldn't) cost you near as much to pay for it yourself as what the bill to the insurance company will say. In my recent experience, I was given quote ranging from $210 to $250 from about half a dozen glass shops. Safelite was one of the lower estimates, and they were the only one here that is a national name/chain. When I went to pick it up and signed the form for them to bill the insurance company, the charge was over $600!!!!

So check to see if the insurance policy covers it; if it doesn't, the out-of-pocket charge should be less than $300.

·
Registered
15 Posts
windshield cracks

well, recently I had 2 dings filled in by an autoglass company (with nationwide coverage / warranty), and my insurance company paid for the whole thing, they would rather have you fill the crack than have to pay for the whole windshield replaced later down the road. Atleast according to them! Was nice. (Erie is my insurance company btw).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts