TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered a crack in the windshield last night. Not a happy camper. What years and models are compatable with 94 cougar? Obviously 94/5 cougars, what about other years and birds incase I go junkyard shopping. Thanks

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I just had the glass replaced in my 96 because of all the sandblasting done to it over the past 10 years... it was only $180 installed.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
any year mn12 will work , 89-97

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
I have a windshield here with no cracks. If you wanna come take it out I'll ask like 40 bucks for it. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's out of a 94 SC. I can probably get it out in the next couple weeks if you're not in a hurry. I'm 2 hours from Quad Cities right off 80.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Just to let you know, the windshield itself is the same for all years, however the little tab that holds the rearview mirror on is not. So if you do get one out of a junkyard, you might want to grab the mirror from that car too just to make sure you don't have any problems. That being said, I also have to reccomend that you just call up a place that does this stuff and have them do it. If you try to do it youreself, it will take you all day and you might break your new glass, and it might not seal properly in which case you would have to take it out and reinstall it, but you would probably break it taking it out so you would have to buy another one. You see where I'm going with this. For the small amount of money you save by doing it yourself, you are also losing the guarantee that it was done right, and if something does go wrong, you'll really be kicking yourself the second time you are pulling the windshield out.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MadMikeyL said:
Just to let you know, the windshield itself is the same for all years, however the little tab that holds the rearview mirror on is not. So if you do get one out of a junkyard, you might want to grab the mirror from that car too just to make sure you don't have any problems. That being said, I also have to reccomend that you just call up a place that does this stuff and have them do it. If you try to do it youreself, it will take you all day and you might break your new glass, and it might not seal properly in which case you would have to take it out and reinstall it, but you would probably break it taking it out so you would have to buy another one. You see where I'm going with this. For the small amount of money you save by doing it yourself, you are also losing the guarantee that it was done right, and if something does go wrong, you'll really be kicking yourself the second time you are pulling the windshield out.

Mike

Mike
Yeah, I'm definately going to have someone else do this...not really something I want to do. It'll prob be a good month before I get it replaced, but wanted to be on the look out incase one popped up. Thanks guys

Joe

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My brother's in autobody. He recommends just getting new glass, as have several others. One, you got a very good chance of breaking in while taking it out. Two, you gotta get it from the vehicle to your vehicle. Three, you gotta get it into your vehicle without cracking.

$40 plus gas and whoever removes it and installs it, plus materials, and possibility of breaking it, or just pay someone the cost to do it. Like what Litning said, $180 installed. Sure sounds good, and I'm sure they even have insurance on correct installation. If they break the glass, they'll have to replace it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
going rate around here is 50 for a used window and 50 for install

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Is that if it's already removed? Because it'll still need to be removed, and so will the other one. So you have two window removals, and one install.

Just saying, you know. Really it's either way you wanna take it. Save $80 or whatever.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes .ben, that already removed froma junkyard .

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
There are a ton of glass companies that can do R&R. It's not that difficult to remove glass. You just need to seal it properly on install. Also not difficult if you know what you are doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts