TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
you could also try and sweet talk traveler out of the one on his LE come may....

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Depends on what trim you're talking about. The Red LX I bought is missing the trim that runs along the top of the windshield. I have the piece, but it is bent, and I'm told that you have to pull the windshield to get them in.

·
The Parts Guy
7,299 Posts
Traveler said:
LOL Depends on what trim you're talking about. The Red LX I bought is missing the trim that runs along the top of the windshield. I have the piece, but it is bent, and I'm told that you have to pull the windshield to get them in.
Installation of the trim piece on top of the windsheild requires the removal/reinstallation of the two side trim pieces (which are riveted to the A-pillar and roof line at the door opening), but it doesn't require removal of the windsheild.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Well, I guess thats better. Thanks Rod. Feel like coming down in May and demonstrating the technique? :D

Seriously, I have the trim piece here. I just need to get it on the car. Just how difficult is that to do?

·
The Parts Guy
7,299 Posts
Traveler said:
Well, I guess thats better. Thanks Rod. Feel like coming down in May and demonstrating the technique? :D

Seriously, I have the trim piece here. I just need to get it on the car. Just how difficult is that to do?
I'd love to, but I doubt I'll have the time.

It's not difficult at all, just time consuming. You have to drill out all of the rivets attaching the side trim pieces to the car, remove them, then pop the old upper trim out and pop the new one in. Rivet the side trim pieces back in place, and you're done. You may even be able to get away with just removing the side trim on one side of the car, but I'm not positive if that will work.

-Rod

·
Registered
12 Posts
windshield trim glue

I have a similar problem in that the trim piece has come un-glued. The ends are still fastened in well and the center just rides up and off the edge of the glass, due to wind pressure I suppose. It is not bent or twisted or anything, just loose on the edge of the glass. It looks like little glue was used to hold it in place originally. What kind of glue can I put on the edge of the glass and/or the groove made into the trim piece and slip it back in place? I'm about to try some Gorilla Glue. I understand that this piece comes already on the replacement windshields, so maybe it is supposed to be a snug friction type fit originally. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
windshield trim glue update

Went to local glass shop and they glued it back together with a 'urethane' glue. My my, how things have changed since the FH Fords. The fella was nice and said leave it taped for 24 hrs. And he has only been into auto glass for 25 yrs.! Hope all is well when tape is 'gently' pulled off. Cost $10.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought and have a new top front windshield trim, but my 97' car has the moon roof and the trim is different. The one on my car is an all rubber piece. The Ford replacement is thin metal with clips and rubber coating. The moon roof trim is not the same as the hard top trim. If you want it i'll box it and ship but it might not be worth it since the part is only about $32.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks anyhow Ed but I believe that I've got the problem solved. Interesting about that difference though. My 97 has a sunroof and the trim on the top of the windshield is a plastic strip. Don't know why the sunroof option would change the windshield trim.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't either but my trim is solid rubber and I have peeked under it and it does not have clips as per the Ford detail. When the car gets painted I guess I will get to the bottom of that situation. But I will still box up the Stock trim piece if someone wants it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Flex it

I removed mine, stripped the rubber off and painted it last year.
Be careful, but it can be removed by just flexing it a bit.
Spray wash this winter removed some of the paint so I'll order a new one.
Maybe the rear upper and lower as well to go along with some new paint work and wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts