TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wipers on my 1995 LX are getting "draggy" and it seems like there is a lot of slop in the linkage, so it's time for a rebuild.
I can find the motor, but the Arm and Pivot Assembly is a problem.
The OEM part # is F6SZ17566BA.
Tasca has LC4Z17566A in stock.
Dorman lists their 602 304 as a replacement for 4F1Z17566BA.
Does anyone know if either of these parts is a bolt on replacement for the OEM F6SZ17566BA?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I would replace the blades first. "draggy" sounds like it would be caused by blades. It is hard to find a good blade these days that doesn't make some kind of noise. Most of them seem to need "seasoned", or go thru a few rainstorms before they stop making noise, at least on these cars.

Don't underestimate the importance of good blades. My Dad's wipers stopped working in a heavy rain storm on a long trip. He assumed it was the motor, but replaced the blades just to try. Fixed him right up!

I had 220k miles on my old T-Bird, they worked perfect. They always have a little "slop" in the linkage, meaning you can move them back and forth a little.

Al

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blades are brand new Motorcraft.
I'm talking draggy as in moving very slow, like the motor is struggling to move them. Not making noise, and moving slowly, even after I spray windshield wash to lubricate the blades.
I haven't opened it up yet, but I think that the wipers don't get used much and the linkage is seizing up..

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Try disconnecting the linkage from the motor, and see if the motor is seizing up.

It may be, due to lack of usage.

RwP

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
My Cougar has a similar issue. The wipers have a bit of play in them, you can move them by about a 1/2". They feel much less solid mounted then they should be. My assumption is that a worn out linkage bushing is causing this. I have looked around here and haven't found much for replacement bushing part numbers or anything. I have yet to pull them out and see what the issue is. One of the many little things on the list of "get to it someday"....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My linkage has plenty of slop in it too.
I'm pretty sure that the linkage has seized up from lack of usage.
I plan to do a complete rebuild when I get in to it, so I want to have the parts on hand before I take the system apart.
I've spent a few hours doing parts number research and find that excepting the first four letters/digit prefix that the part part number for the 2004 Sable has the same part number for the linkage, so I'm going to take a chance. The Dorman replacement arrives Tuesday.
That trick worked when I couldn't find a clockspring. There is a lot of commonality in parts between the Thunderbird and the Taurus/Sable line.

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
When I rebushed Ruby Jean's wiper transmission, I had to take some Dorman closed cap bushings and drill a pilot hole in them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The idea of crossing the parts numbers to one of the Sable/Tarus numbers didn't work. I matched everything but the four digit prefix on the origional part number, then tried the Dorman equivalent. Not even close, and two inches narrower.
I'm now waiting on a used unit from TBSC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts