TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one of my tbirds i have a huge crack going across my windshield on the passenger side. I never cared about it much, because it started as a rock chip and slowly got worse over time. So I feel its time to replace it before I start on some exterior "cosmetic" parts and have a huge ugly crack in the glass. Now my question is, how exactly do you install a windshield? I'm competant in all other aspects of car matinence and such but ive never messed w/ car windshields. Is this something anyone can do w/ the right tools and patience? Or is this better left to "professionals" ? And if i have to take it somewhere, what is a good estimate for the price of labor to install a new one plus the cost of the new windshield?

·
8,239 Posts
take it to a shop.

If you have glass on your insurance coverage then claim it through your insurance. I did this with my truck and my insurance did not go up.

If you don't have glass insurance then add it and wait a few months to make a claim.

JH

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I had a guy come out to my house and do it installed for 135... Most of the places around here come out to your house... MAKE SURE YOU SHOP AROUND... I had a price range of 135 to almost 300 for the same windshield... So yea, call around! Also, I wouldn't try doing it yourself if you haven't done it before... If you don't have the right tools it is extremely difficult to do and you risk breaking your new one... The labor isn't all that expensive and it only takes about 20-30 mins for them to do... I'd just have someone do it.

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Oh also, with the insurance thing, most insurance companies will do any repair (if you are covered) under $1000 without increasing your rates. This also includes accidents where you are at fault. If the damage to the other car is less than a grand, you shouldn't get a price jump.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On both of my cars I jsut have Liability/Medical payments/Property damage, and uninsured motorist. I cant personally do anything w/ the insurance, since I'm still under 18 its piggybacked on my parents. if tis jsut going to run 150-300max, theres no real point in worrying about changing the insurance to pay for that "small" bill.

A sort of on the topic question, Can i get a windshield without the black "trim and black speckles" around the out side of the glass? I'm not sure of the exact name of what its called, but the black border around the glass? Or is this some DOT required thing?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The windshield I got was just the OEM one, so it still had those dots... I have no idea if you can get one without them but I wouldn't recommend it because the glue they use to put it on is black so you are going to see black anyway... I'd just stick with what is already on there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CaliHwyPatrol said:
The windshield I got was just the OEM one, so it still had those dots... I have no idea if you can get one without them but I wouldn't recommend it because the glue they use to put it on is black so you are going to see black anyway... I'd just stick with what is already on there.

Alright, I guess I'll have to start some shopping this week, and see what I come up with. Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
75 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
I had a guy come out to my house and do it installed for 135... Most of the places around here come out to your house... MAKE SURE YOU SHOP AROUND... I had a price range of 135 to almost 300 for the same windshield... So yea, call around! Also, I wouldn't try doing it yourself if you haven't done it before... If you don't have the right tools it is extremely difficult to do and you risk breaking your new one... The labor isn't all that expensive and it only takes about 20-30 mins for them to do... I'd just have someone do it.

~Chuck
The difference between $135 and $300 is a competent shop that uses OEM stuff and a bunch of idiots (hmm...Safelite, etc..hmm...). Although $300 does sould really high....these w/s's are fairly inexpensive. You're right about not doing it yourself. There's too many elements that you need to take into account. They say you can't beat a man (a competent one, that is) at his trade and I believe that to be true. Hmm....20 - 30 mins to replace a 'shield....must've been real fly by nights...pop your mouldings off and tell me how much rust you find? Betcha they didn't prime anything. Bet they didn't even take the cowl out. Tell me, what kind of 'shield is in your car?

·
8,239 Posts
yeah its really hit and miss.

I had my glass done in a body shop when the idiots smashed two windows on my truck and stole everything.

They used ppg brand windows, and did a great job. Price was right, way cheaper than oem ford glass.

·
Registered
75 Posts
JustinH said:
yeah its really hit and miss.

I had my glass done in a body shop when the idiots smashed two windows on my truck and stole everything.

They used ppg brand windows, and did a great job. Price was right, way cheaper than oem ford glass.
PPG is definitely good glass, along with Pilkington/LOF, and Carlite.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
LZ1276 said:
The difference between $135 and $300 is a competent shop that uses OEM stuff and a bunch of idiots (hmm...Safelite, etc..hmm...). Although $300 does sould really high....these w/s's are fairly inexpensive. You're right about not doing it yourself. There's too many elements that you need to take into account. They say you can't beat a man (a competent one, that is) at his trade and I believe that to be true. Hmm....20 - 30 mins to replace a 'shield....must've been real fly by nights...pop your mouldings off and tell me how much rust you find? Betcha they didn't prime anything. Bet they didn't even take the cowl out. Tell me, what kind of 'shield is in your car?
Eh I don't know what the cowl is and I have never seen rust anywhere on my car... The guy did a good job and I have absolutely no complaints about it... I have to figure I'm driving a car that is worth less that then computer I'm typing on so I'm not going to try and over do it when replacing stuff on it. I do what gets me by until this thing finally breaks apart. That may not be the right way to think but for me, my budget, and the boat that I am driving, it seemed fitting...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts