TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be shot for how they put the 3.8 in there. Just got done doing a head job on a 98 (180k miles). That thing is laid out bass ackward and is shoe horned worse than an SC.

Whose bright idea was it to put all the coolant line under everything else and use o-ring over hose clamps?

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
There are a lot of vehicles that were never designed to be worked on in the engine bay other than to change the plugs, air filter and oil.

Shops love these cars because they get to charge for dropping the engine when they require major work. In most cases it's cheaper or just easier to replace the vehicle than to invest in doing a head job or other major work on a '98. Especially on those small 6 cyl. engines.

If you're willing to do the work yourself it's a major PITA, if you've got a shop and can charge for it; it's a major source of income.

Basically, it's designed revenue or obsolesce my friends... Those engineers knew exactly what they were doing. :D

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
many of those FWD V6 (or V8) vehicles, seem like the bank nearest the firewall would be a royal PITA to change plugs on

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
To add to and elaborate on TM's first statement:

There are a lot of vehicles that were never designed to be worked on in the engine bay other than to change the plugs, air filter and oil towards the middle to end of the platform run
The Windstar was derived off the Taurus which itself was never originally intended to use the 3.8 during development. You look in the engine bay of an 86-91 Vulcan or I4 Taurus they look right at home. Much like a 3.8 in an MN12, a 5.0 or I6 in a Foxbody, ect. ect. They're even easy to work on.

The way Ford and most domestics rolled/roll is to develop a platform and use it as long as they possibly can by updating it both visually and mechanically until A. development cost is payed off and B. they start getting criticized for rebadging turds. Because of this the engine/drivetrain development may or may not have the platforms and subsequent models in mind for applications as internal plans tend to differ from reality(Certain engines might be designed for cars that get phased out, cars that get widely revamped or even cars that never come to fruition) and usually these engines end up being placed into the aging or underwhelming platforms to increase performance, reliability, mileage, emissions, ect.

So it's not likely one engineer you're after, it's a series of them over a 20 or so year period but even then they're not truly the ones responsible for the goofy stupid things we see... Or maybe they are and made them so ridiculous just to get a laugh out of us who continue to live with this old crap:tongue:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know its a whole passel of engineers. This is why I want a concrete pad and lift, and is also why I won't change a Deville 300 V8 water pump (well I'll do if for ~$1000, once was enough).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sometimes I get the feeling that after a prototype car is made, they have engineers review it. They open the hood, and poke around to see if they can fit their fist anywhere around the engine compartment. If they can, they are instructed to put something there. Doesn't matter what.....just fill in the gaps with something.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
many of those FWD V6 (or V8) vehicles, seem like the bank nearest the firewall would be a royal PITA to change plugs on
These are the type of cars that I actually change the Plugs on - and you find that the ones near the Firewall are still the Original plugs. :D

That and the engines were you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the second bank ..

I dont mind tricky engines .. get paid more to work on them especially when everybody knows how hard it is to work on. " Change plugs on a Super coupe ??? The shop wants $300.00 ... no problem for me. ;)

But yeah .. the Windstar - Terrible design. Same with a Dodge Caravan, I dont really care for working on those engines either.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh the plugs were easy, had them done in 30secs.... Installed them in the head while the head was still out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i had a mazda millenia s, dohc, supercharged, v6, fwd, automatic, 2 intercoolers on top of the engine, now THAT was a cramped engine bay.

i sold the POS after i figured out that just to change the plugs and valve cover gaskets i was going to have to remove both intercoolers and parts of the supercharger and fuel system.

thats why i love my 5.0 tbird, i never have to worry about things breaking because its so easy to work on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts