TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to store the cougar for winter and I needed some advice on what I need to do. I dont have a garage but I do have a carport.

How did you keep your batteries good for the 6 months that the car is down? What did you use to protect the car?

·
Registered
381 Posts
When my dad stored his 1954 ford. WHat he did was take out the battery and store it in the house. Charge it every now and again. Or hook it up to another vehicle to get some use out of it. Got a giant car cover and covered the car in the back yard (not a car port). Be sure to find any places that mice can get in and block the hole (exhaust intake etc). be sure to put some sort of fuel stabilizer or something in it.

his truck (1988 GMC Sierra) sits in the garage for 8 months at a time. All he does with that one is start it every 2 -3 months to let the battery charge

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
+1 on sealing up holes. Mice will fit through some pretty small holes; holes that you wouldn't even think they can fit in to.

The cars that I've had to keep parked during winter didn't need intakes sealed off, as they always had an open-element filter on the carb. Once a week I would go start the car, and let it run for about 5-10 minutes. Good to circulate the fluids a bit.

One winter my Dart Swinger had a family of mice that moved in in just one week's time. They got in one of the exhaust pipes and set up camp. So the next time I went out for the start/run I revved it a bit (after warmed up of course) to hear the exhaust roar. A small snowbank was plowed up pretty close to the rear of the car, so after I shut it off there was a pair of neat holes blasted through the snowbank from the exhaust. Thought that was pretty neat until I discovered several dead and dying mice on the other side of the snowbank; I had blasted them right through the snowbank! Nothing like a "facewash" at probably close to the speed of sound!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
last winter

Hello

Last winter.
Well I pulled the engine, Had trany rebuilt.
Battery was junk, bough new one this season.

This winter I will be pulling engine & trany again.(351W & AOD)
Installing an extra 302 & FMX trany. Swapping most suspension parts.
swapping radiator to stock one Maybe selling this car.

Hoping to replacing with a '96
Need to finish the role cage. New custom dash + switches & gauges( if car sells)
Install New brake system & PBR swap, with Mustang hubs & rotors(front)
Bushings all around, Money permitting. swap my 1 3/8" front sway bar
Swap rear pumpkin. Swap seat(racing allu.)

Getting a trickle charger for winter battery storage.

FOR SALE!! 1990 THUNDERBIRD OVAL TRACK CAR.
$5500. Needs some body work.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts