TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 97 has this issue where the wiper arms pop off the wiper motor.

What does every one do to permanently fix this?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So my 97 has this issue where the wiper arms pop off the wiper motor.

What does every one do to permanently fix this?
Q: Is the metal tab that holds the arm onto the motor nub worn out?
If so, you may need to get a spare arm.

Driver or Passenger side?

-g

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
IF it's popping off the motor, it'll be the main drive arm to the driver's side, which then drives the passenger side.

If it's just the passenger side, then it's not popping off the drive motor, since the passenger side is driven off the driver's side.

For the OP - you may need to replace the (approx. 20 year old) bushings.

RwP

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tes the drivers side wiper arm is popping off the wiper motor arm.

Just get new bushings from advance auto?

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Driver's side stops, passenger side keeps working?

That's hard to do, since the arm runs from the motor to the swing arm to the passenger side. The passenger side is driven off that same swing arm, NOT the wiper motor itself.

Now, the drive arm off the wiper motor may be popping off the swing arm ... that'd kill both sides.

The auto parts stores don't have the right bushings per se. What !I! did was to modify some Jeep bushings (I have a write up here somewhere on it), and rebuilt the mechanism.

Suggestion - go ahead, get the wiper motor platform from a U-Pull-It, and rebuild it first. Also, consider carefully doing a new motor on the platform while rebuilding it ...

RwP

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Also: Put locktite and torque down the screw that retains the mechanism to the motor drive. There is a bit of disassembly on the cowl. Not fun when that loosens up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts