TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be taking off the entire cowl and replacing it with a uncracked one with fully working wiper sprayers, how do remove the wipers, and what is the normal paint to spray onto the wiper arms to make them look nice again.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
You tilt the arm up until you can move the slide underneath to unlock the arms, then you pull the arm straight up off the drive shaft.

If you still have the positioning block, be careful you don't drop it - that makes it a LOT easier to get back on and aligned properly!

As to the paint - what I used was Krylon flat black.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
steveg1988 said:
What is the normal paint to spray onto the wiper arms to make them look nice again.
Whatever paint you decide to use..Make sure you spray it on in light coats..

The Wiper Arms are meant to articulate..So if you gum them up with paint at the joints they will not perform optimally..

I have yet to find a good paint that sticks to Wiper Arms without coming off after a year or so on a DD..

The Wiper Arms take a beating with the rain,sun, and the snow/ice if you're doing any driving in Winter..

Rayo..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever paint you decide to use..Make sure you spray it on in light coats..

The Wiper Arms are meant to articulate..So if you gum them up with paint at the joints they will not perform optimally..

I have yet to find a good paint that sticks to Wiper Arms without coming off after a year or so on a DD..

The Wiper Arms take a beating with the rain,sun, and the snow/ice if you're doing any driving in Winter..

Rayo..
I'm going to get some heavy duty black paint then, the kind of paint that is sold for outdoor use, or a can of rustoleum paint

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
I live in Louisiana, where the Sun God makes daily apperances for several months at a time *grins* Flat to keep the sunlight from reflecting off of it (semi-gloss STILL reflects some.)

YMMV natch.

RwP

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
It may sound like I'm being paid to endorse them, but Duplicolor trim paint. Best match to the factory finish
Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Have used the Duplicolor for all three of our vehicles and it has held up very well for 16 months.

Painted the top and lower trim.

Painted the wiper cowl and arms.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
If you have problems with sun reflection off the arms you seriously need to readjust your wipers :tongue:
It's not all day - but there ARE times that it can glare off the wiper arms.

But then, I also consider glare for those going the other way :diablo:

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,502 Posts
Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Have used the Duplicolor for all three of our vehicles and it has held up very well for 16 months.

Painted the top and lower trim.

Painted the wiper cowl and arms.
Looks great! I'll never understand why people use plastidip in those areas for half as good and non permanent results.

I need to do my wiper cowl too, the stock plastic is finally starting to turn a bit grey

It's not all day - but there ARE times that it can glare off the wiper arms.

But then, I also consider glare for those going the other way :diablo:

RwP
I've never experienced that, I've had glare from the dash before but the wiper arms are completely out of my line of sight at rest. I can see the blades, but that's it

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have been having good luck with Krylon flat black for multi- uses. It is not as flat as you would think, looks nice. Hold them by the blades and put on light coats.

The Krylon flat works well for the door edges too.

I am done with any kind of semi-gloss black. It turns out like garbage every time, very inconsistent sheen. I either do flat or gloss, both Krylon.

Al

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would go with Krylon. The Duplicolor black paints are not attractive, especially semi-gloss.

Al

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Suggestion: After completely cleaning, hit the non-metallic portion with a adhesion promoter.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,502 Posts
I would go with Krylon. The Duplicolor black paints are not attractive, especially semi-gloss.

Al
I won't dispute your results with Krylon, but to say Duplicolor doesn't turn out attractive in this finish is BS. I've had horrible luck with some of Duplicolors other finishes, especially their clearcoats, but their trim paint is the bees knees as far as a satin black is concerned. I refinished this console top with it in 2008, been collecting dust in the crawl space since May when I did the 5 speed swap and it still looks good. I've had equally good results using it on the pillars and wiper arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I wasn't talking about trim paint. But that's great that you are happy with it.

Al

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You said trim paint and I thought you meant interior paint. Yes, that's the paint.

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts