TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I thought these cars called for a 20" wiper?!
23" Is too long for the passenger side, (The end won't touch the windshield) On my Mark VIII I have a 24" on the drivers side, and a 22" on the passenger side... I ran the same sizes on my Cougar...

·
Registered
407 Posts
i have a rain x 26" on my drivers side:D (dont ask why-got it new for free) and it works:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

RalphP said:
CrystalPistol said:
Damn .... my '95 looked so great until this year and the hood and roof both started dying and FAST. Got a guy says he'll paint them and treat me right (he will, I've known him 35 years) and I guess we'll do trunk too. Sides look great! It's my DD, 82K miles now .... just waiting for when he's ready.
I have an offer from the paint and body guy for a local Ford dealership (interestingly enough the one that one nephew works at as service manager, another nephew's ex-wife as service writer, and the other nephew's son used to work as a mechanic) for about $2000 including all body work needed to cherry her out, if I do the front bumper first (which I have a replacement bumper - need to cut the cornering light holes in it and remove the chrome trim so I can reattach the body-color trim off the old broken bumper cover).

I don't think that's a bad price, all things considered. Especially for a professional painter. And since the nephew who's the service manager was certified in auto body and paint (he can't do it for a living being asthmatic ... ) and says it's a great job, AND the nephew's '94 Mustang GT is being painted for $1500 ...
Got her done last week, looks great ..... gonna stretch some more life out the sides and ends now! :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The application guide calls for a 22" blade both sides.

The parts store was out of 22s in the brand I wanted, so I took 21" blades and they look great.
I held the 22" next to the 21" replacements I bought and they look only to be about 3/4" shorter (3/8" each end) -- weird, but whatever.

The 22" blades were Anco and and the 21" were Bosch. I'll try to get y'all pics if I think about it :)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I always thought the wiper blades were a bit small on my Bird. I am glad that other sizes work as well. I have the same blades from the day I bought the car, March 2008! They still work but they could use replacing. Needless to say, I don't use them too much. I never seen this thread before, thanks for the tips!

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Between this thread and the other one linked, I gather that both sides can use 22in blades. Is that right?
Yes, both driver/pass side use 22" blades.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Got my wiper blades in today from Rock Auto. Can't wait to put them on and be ready for the winter rains :D.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I've been using 24/22" PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades since May 2012. They are amazing, quiet and do a great job, I haven't even replaced the blades on them yet.:xpshame:
Before that I was using between three and six seats of "cheap" wiper blades a year. Yup, I don't tolerate streaks or noise well at all.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hahaha, my blades would drive you crazy then! These are the first set I've bought the T-Bird in 2yrs.

Then again, I'm in SoCal and our "rainy season" is really 2 weeks long, typically between january and february, and then there's the occasional shower here and there up until early june.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm using 22in Duralast Fless Wiper Blades. So far so good.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Given the slope of the windshield on these cars it's important to use a AeroVantage type blade. The stock ones WILL lift off the windshield around 90-100 MPH in the rain. And chatter and skip at best or lift entirely off the windshield. This was when the car was two years old and arm springs were new and it had the factory wiper blades. Now that these cars are over 15 years old and the arm springs are tired it's probably even more important. Adding a oversize wiper is only going to excaberate the issue. I suspect the fully enclosed Winter Type blades offer even greater surface area. Only aggravating the issue.

And when your wipers are getting airborne at the century mark it's probably a good sign as any to slow down ;)

I just put new 22 wipers on one car. I think I'll buy a pair of 24s and do the drivers side of both while they are still fresh.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The odd thing is, all the parts catalogs (even Rock Auto) specify 24" wiper blades on the driver's side for the 1989 T-Bird/Cougar, and 20" on the passenger side, for that year ONLY! All other years, 1990-1997, specify 22" blades for both positions.

I don't understand why they specify different size blades for 1989 - the MN12 was structurally the same from 1989-1997, wasn't it?

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
The odd thing is, all the parts catalogs (even Rock Auto) specify 24" wiper blades on the driver's side for the 1989 T-Bird/Cougar, and 20" on the passenger side, for that year ONLY! All other years, 1990-1997, specify 22" blades for both positions.

I don't understand why they specify different size blades for 1989 - the MN12 was structurally the same from 1989-1997, wasn't it?

Dennis
I wonder if they're like that in the 89 owners or service manuals as well. If I were to guess, Ford may have speced them to be the same size from 90 onward so customers wouldn't accidentally mismatch them.

Oh and technically the wiper cowl was revised in 1993, as well as a significant portion of the steel bodystructure. But the wipers are the same geometry:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Shredded a blade in the monsoon on my way to work so stopped and put a 24 on the drivers side. Works great. I bought two and I'm going to swap one of the 22 I just put on the daily driver out to the passenger side. Definitely worth doing this "mod" the next time you change blades.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts