TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today i went to clean my windsheild and pushed in the knob for washer fluid, they squirted and the wipers moved once. then i went to use them again and no go. they won;t work on any speed. my high's and low beams work.

i don;t hear the motor trying to work at all. i checked the fuses under the dash(this is on a 93 3.8L) and i found the 8.25 fuse but don't know how to tell if its blown or not.

anyone else know what might be going on? i was reading on here about maybe a MFS? i dunno

thanks for replies
Dean

·
Registered
262 Posts
From the visually impaired...

In the center portion of the fuse, you should be able to see a silver conductor all in one piece if it's O.K. If it's broken, its bad. Or a volt-ohm meter check should show less than 1 ohm resistance.

Best bet is to just replace the fuse with another (that's what us visually impaired guys do!). I just went out and checked my power distribution box under the hood, and there is no fuse listed for the wipers. So if you swap out fuses under the dash and it's still a no-go, it may be the motor or the switch.

If it's a no-go, you can jumper from the positive terminal of the battery to the (+) terminal of the wiper motor. If the wipers work, then it's the switch. Sorry I can't tell you what color wire it is... started pouring down rain here while I was checking the power distribution box. Sort of ironic. :D

Sorry to say that if it's the switch, me thinks the whole turn signal lever assembly needs to be replaced as a unit... about 100 bucks for a new one.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot...its not a regualr 5 or 10 fuse. its like a little silver box with 2 prings on it and i dunno how to tell if its the fuse so im gonna go get it replaced anyways. but my high ald low beams work fine. i dind;t cheack my blinkers tho. so if my headlighs work could it still be the switch?

·
Registered
262 Posts
smitty2919 said:
i dind;t cheack my blinkers tho. so if my headlighs work could it still be the switch?
Could be... there's a whole lot going on inside that lever. There are distinct switches for wipers, washers, high beams, and turn signals. That's why me thinks you can only buy a replacement lever with all the switches in it. I certainly wouldn't want to try to put one back together! :D Always easy to take things apart.

If it's not the fuse, try the jumper wire from the battery to the positive terminal of the wiper motor. If the motor runs, it's the switch. If not, probably the motor's bought the farm.

That is all...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks alot. i have a replacement wiper,blinker lever so maye that will help. but ill try those..thanks alot

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well i went out and took a look. apparently its a circut breaker that i found and don;t know if its gone or not. but when i looked around i found the little grey box that makes a "click sound" when i turn on the wipers from the turn signal lever. i hear a click but nothing happens......does this mean my motor is gone?

if not where is the positive side of the wiper motor so i can hook it up to the battery?can i use my jumper cables to do this? use one red connector on cables to pos side of battery with other end of red side to pos side of wper motor?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i am out here again and the motor DOES work they will move but when i tookoff the front vents under the ewiper arms and say where they connect to the motor, i moved them a little and they worked. all levels would. then i shut them off and turned back on and nothing. then i left them on and moved them by hand then they worked.

what is goin on? is it the motor with a bad connection? or is it something telling the wipers to move?

the MFS seems fine, haedlights and blinkers all work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
smitty2919 said:
ok well i went out and took a look. apparently its a circut breaker that i found and don;t know if its gone or not. but when i looked around i found the little grey box that makes a "click sound" when i turn on the wipers from the turn signal lever. i hear a click but nothing happens......does this mean my motor is gone?
My ride's not here right now, but does the box look like this?

WiperBox

Forgot all about that. My alibi's in my signature! :D

if not where is the positive side of the wiper motor so i can hook it up to the battery?can i use my jumper cables to do this? use one red connector on cables to pos side of battery with other end of red side to pos side of wper motor?
Just use a piece of insulated stranded wire probably #14 or larger and strip the ends bare. You'll only need to touch it for a few seconds to see if it works. The jumper cables are quite clunky, and you may short the battery. My wife shorted the battery on mine a few years back while I was replacing the water pump (don't ask!) and screwed up the climate control. :mad: :mad: :mad: !

Do you have a voltmeter?

That is all...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well yes that's what the box looked like. thats what was making a clicking noise. but i might have fixed it. i took off the conectors to the motor and tested it with a voltmeter and seemed to be getting around 12 volts. now they seem to work. maybe it was just y playing with it i managed to make the connection right and fixed it

i dunno but all seems fine now tho

thanks for your help

·
Registered
262 Posts
smitty2919 said:
well yes that's what the box looked like. thats what was making a clicking noise. but i might have fixed it. i took off the conectors to the motor and tested it with a voltmeter and seemed to be getting around 12 volts. now they seem to work. maybe it was just y playing with it i managed to make the connection right and fixed it
Sounds like all you had was a sh!ty connection. You might want to make sure the contacts are good and clean, and maybe pick up a little dieletric grease at the auto parts store to put on them. It'll keep them from corroding, and most important - they'll work when you want them to. :)

Thanks to you to, smitty... got me thinking again. I'm probably going to need some new stuff soon too. Still runnin' the original wiper motor and such. Bought mine new and take care of it, but nothin' lasts forever. Replaced the original starter and alternator just after the first of the year - both were still working fine. Didn't want to be Found On the Road Dead. I've never had a Ford alternator go 290k and 13 years and still work like new. That's scary!

Best of Luck in the almost Great White North!

That is all...

·
Registered
105 Posts
In mine, the wipes are iffy. sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, everything else on the stick works, except the wipers, and they dont even try......... but then sometimes they work fine............. so is there a short or something? and the wipers are slowwwwwwwwwwwww dunno if thats the way they are supposed to be but on hi they are about as fast as new cars on slow.

-Rog

·
Registered
262 Posts
roger said:
In mine, the wipes are iffy. sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, everything else on the stick works, except the wipers, and they dont even try......... but then sometimes they work fine............. so is there a short or something? and the wipers are slowwwwwwwwwwwww dunno if thats the way they are supposed to be but on hi they are about as fast as new cars on slow.

-Rog
You just might have a bad connection at the governor box just like smitty2919.

That is all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts