TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently replaced the multifunction switch about a year ago and everything's been peachy.

Yesterday, suddenly, my wipers just took off on high and won't stop. Blinkers work, wiper fluid squirters work, high beams work. Wipers just won't turn off.

This sounds to me like a wiper motor gone wild. Good guess??? It was real cold yesterday and thought the freezing may have broken them but today was warmer and they are still possessed by the devil.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first guess - MFS.
But it's basically new...my understanding of MFS's are that when they go out, many thing break...at least that's my experience on three different vehicles.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can always check the wiring, other than that, I have no clue what to look for

·
Registered
844 Posts
But it's basically new...my understanding of MFS's are that when they go out, many thing break...at least that's my experience on three different vehicles.
Not nessessarily. I had to replace my MFS, the squirter button didn;t work. The wipers, turn signal, hi/low, all worked

·
It is nice
885 Posts
lol, sounds like the problem I had except mine was stuck on the wash function. When I turned the car on it would spray washer fluid and keep doing that until my whole car was clean lmao. I had the fuse out for a good 6mnths or so and I finally found it was the integrated control module under the dash behind the fuse panel. There are relay's inside which control hi/lo, and wash spray, along with some other things. Might wanna try that. I noticed though I gave up my illuminated entry or whatever; when I got in the lights would stay on for a few secs after or until I got the key turned and stay on after leaving the car etc. I had a black colored one, and replaced with a beige one so its a bonus kinda If you find a black one I guess.

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah I think the problem lies in the MFS. If the motor took a dump, I would think it either wouldn't work, would be really slow, or would pull too much amperage and blow the fuse and/or melt wires. Plus, the power goes to the MFS and then to the motor, so there has to be something in the MFS that's causing the connection to happen. If you want a definitive answer, unplug the MFS and see if the motor stops working!

·
Registered
61 Posts
im with master486, Pull the switch

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
my moms taurus had something similiar but instead of going crazy they would work fine when dry out but when you needed a delay on the wipers they wouldnt budge. turned out to be a set of relays under the hood that were weak.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally getting to it...
The switch isn't the problem. Got a new one installed and the problem is still there. It sat for a week or so (very busy) and I just got around to pulling the switch. It's completely out and the wipers still go when the ignition is on or ACC.

Guess it's the motor...unless someone else can shed some photons on it.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
a short somewhere maybe? try to chase down your wires when you get a chance. try starting my the switch and working back.

·
5,650 Posts
It is not the motor. It cannot be the motor, so don't try replacing it. You'll be wasting your money. It's either one of two things. It's either the integrated control module or the wiring in between the control module and the motor, and I'm betting it's the control module. Here's what you can do to tell. The integrated control module plugs into the same housing as the fuse box inside the car. If you look under the dash, you'll see the fuse box and near the back of the box (closer to the firewall) you'll see a module. It snaps in from the bottom and has a couple connectors from the top. I guarantee you that if you unplug that module the wipers will stop. In addition, however, so will your fasten seatbelts light and certain interior lighting features. What you have to do to test it is unplug the 8-pin electrical connector from the top of the module. This is the connector closest to the driver door. Also (or maybe first) disconnect the wiper motor. Then with a multimeter, connect pin 5 and ground and make sure that the resistance is 5 ohms or less. If it is, then the module is definitely bad. If it isn't, then the problem is most definitely the wiring between the module, switch, and motor. Let me know the results of the test. I have a module if you end up needing it.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
yup like I said, It took me a few months to finally get that damn module sorted out, there is relays for the wipers inside. master486, do you have a beige or black module? the black one has illuminated entry, well at least my broken one did lol.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the post, master486.

That's somewhat Greek to me, but I think I get the gist.

I think the big problem will be getting the connector off the wiper motor. I don't know when I can get to this, but I'll post what happens or questions about the testing...if I can get to the motor connector.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
dont touch the wiper motor just replace the integrated control module or test if the relay is stuck closed.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was finally able to get the module pulled out today. I have a multimeter, but I'm not a whiz at testing with it. I set it to where I believe it was supposed to be and I got no reading.

Chris, do you still have the spare module?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
is yours black or beige?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess beige. It's more of an off-white but.... ;-)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts