TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some aftermarket driving lights and wanted to wire them up to turn on with headlights. Does someone have a diagram?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k, how do I hook that up....never really used relays instead of a rocker switch

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,487 Posts
Splice in a new wire from one of the parking light power circuits(brown wire IIRC, and the driver side inboard light is the most convenient given it's proximity to the power distribution area) and run it to terminal 85 on the relay and then run terminal 86 to ground(that will energize the coil when the lights are on). Then run a fused wire from the battery to terminal 30 on the relay, and then run a wire from terminal 87 to the driving lights, and of course run the lights to ground.

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts
As a note - I would run the fused power to terminal 87, and terminal 30 to the lights.

The reason is, if it's a SPDT switch (the 5-terminal variant), Matt's wiring puts 12V on terminal 87a when the lights are NOT on.

Now, this may be what you want - but wiring the other way means that nothing's hot but 87 when the parking lights are off.

'Tis a minor detail, true. But "safety first, second, and third" when it comes to your battery *grins*

RwP

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I ran mine off of the head light wire instead of the parking lights. Wanted to stay street legal for the wife in our state. When high beams are on , fog/running lights are required to be off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts