TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and excited to steal all your ideas and then claim them as my own. J/K. I'm not a car hobbyist, but stumbling across this site, and seeing the modifications some of you are making is jaw dropping and a little bit inspiring. With your collective influence, who knows how far I'll go?

Some minor repair work, and maintenance I've done myself (cooling system stuff), but anything requiring getting under it I've taken to mechanics in town. I installed amps and head-units, yes I cut the stock wiring harness long ago, and I'm over that.

I had the heater core replaced about 9 (cripes...) years ago and they flim-flammed the reinstallation of the dash, so now that it's off I find myself cleaning up after them. Reorganizing wires and whatnot.

For two years I've had this leaking monstrosity bypassed and now I'm finally replacing it.

I pulled the dash to replace my heater core, the ensuing mess led me to notice that the butt end wire connectors on the plug of what ever this is:

pic

had become separated... one remained nice and snug however. The orange wire held on for dear life so I put a new connector on it (lower right) then I attached the black wire (lower left).

pic2

Now I'm left with 2 mystery wires. The purple one and the green brown one. I don't have any type of manual on hand and google isn't helpful. I'm not even sure of the nomenclature but I know it controls the fan speed for the electronic climate -- I remember replacing it at one point a number of years back.

I'm sure there is only one definitive answer out there and you are the folks who can help. peace.

·
5,650 Posts
Well, that is the blower motor resistor, but that's not the one that belongs in your car. The unintelligible people who worked on your car went through all the trouble to wire in a resistor from a different model (not sure which but that is a late model part number) when they could have just replaced it with the correct one. If you are interested in putting the wiring and resistor that belong in the car back in, I have both.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that is the blower motor resistor, but that's not the one that belongs in your car. The unintelligible people who worked on your car went through all the trouble to wire in a resistor from a different model (not sure which but that is a late model part number) when they could have just replaced it with the correct one. If you are interested in putting the wiring and resistor that belong in the car back in, I have both.
Hey thanks master486, I am interested, how generous of you. But for right now, this incorrect joke still works as it has been for the past 8 years, so it's really not a problem.... is it? Funny that it works but that it's the wrong one... is that common in the auto parts game?

peace

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Hey thanks master486, I am interested, how generous of you. But for right now, this incorrect joke still works as it has been for the past 8 years, so it's really not a problem.... is it? Funny that it works but that it's the wrong one... is that common in the auto parts game?

peace
sure.....like on my 73 thunderbird, the valve that opens and closes the water for the heater, I could not find one anywhere....so the one I found that worked is like for a 94 Suburban...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Were you able to get it all wired back up? I can check out some diagrams at work
-Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mmmm... nope. no wiring help available atm.

but now the fan won't turn off, of course since that's what the function of the blower motor resisiter is, eh?. And now the vents won't change between DEF/AC, etc. to be clear, only the defrost vent/floor vent are blowing air....could my next question be the culprit?

I have a new question about the vacuum hoses (?) that control the register/blend door. I don't have the words to ask the question though. I have a mystery tube (emitting from pass side, directly below the windshield (as seen with dash off) with black tubing / right angle connector that's just dangling and not connected to anything -- at it's source, it's connected to a T -- one end goes into the engine compartment, the other (white) one is connected properly to another thing...) I saw a yellow extension tube that was connected to nothing as well, and I connected the two so that it could reach if needed. The question is, where to? Ugh.

I did get to replace the heater core, and I grounded it, but now I need new heater core hoses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha nevermind. had some wires crossed on the resistor, a hose clamp was not tight enough, and I reached in and jostled the blend door. voila.

edit: the black vacuum tube with the right angle connector is still missing it's male end, so I plugged it with duct tape. Where does it go?

haven't had heat in my ride for two or three years, yah! too bad it's in the low 100s here.

thanks for the support.

peace.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Put your finger over the end of that black tube with the engine running. If there's vacuum there, it should definitely be plugged, but I'm thinking maybe you're talking about one of the windshield washer tubes or the defroster drain. Pics?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up:

got every thing fixed AND I fixed my fog lights, automated my antenna, moved my head unit upstairs, pulled up some unused audio cords, and tightened up some malarkey under the dash.

all those things had been fubar'd for a couple of years now

if it wasn't for the support here, I wouldn't have had the confidence or motivation to do any of it. thanks TCCOA members.

peace.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Extremely delayed.. But for future reference, That's `resistor' pack is for the Semi automatic Climate Control Fan.. It's a Ford replacement to the Original (now discontinued) Fan controller.. But Ford used butt connectors with Heat shrink already attached..

the Semi auto setup has a Variable Fan unlike the Normal Climate control

·
5,650 Posts
Extremely delayed.. But for future reference, That's `resistor' pack is for the Semi automatic Climate Control Fan.. It's a Ford replacement to the Original (now discontinued) Fan controller.. But Ford used butt connectors with Heat shrink already attached..

the Semi auto setup has a Variable Fan unlike the Normal Climate control
No, that resistor pack is for the normal manual climate control. Semi-automatic systems had a larger box with a heatsink on it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
No, that resistor pack is for the normal manual climate control. Semi-automatic systems had a larger box with a heatsink on it.
Really? Why did i see that exact same thing on a '91 Cougar with the semi automatic climate control ???

I know the '94+ Cars got the little external box, but i think the earlier cars still had it in the `Normal' resister area in the blower motor fan area for cooling

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hm.. even with something as simple as a resistor, nothing on web forums is definitive! ugh. haha..

reminds me of my other home.

peace.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Blower motor resistor packs, whatever you want to call them will ONLY be used on cars with FIXED blower speeds. I have never owned a 93 or older MN12 with ATC, but I would suspect that if it had a blower motor resistor, the controls must only have a limited number of fixed fan speeds. When I say this I mean a switch that has 4-5 positions. You will need the PWM control box on cars with a potentiometer "switch" for blower speed control. The potentiometer allows for continuous, "infinite" control of the blower speed, the PWM controller determines its duty cycle from the resistance in the potentiometer.
-Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts