TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i just bought an amp today, i have my subs (2 10" rockford fosgate xlc's). what i want to know is, what guage wires do i use? i know i need a fuse, but what should it be rated for? and on the power part what does the +rem mean? i have a Lanzar Vibe225 500 watt amp. i know jack sh*t when it comes to this stuff... i also know i need rca cables to go from my head unit to the amp, i know how to do that... -greg

·
Registered
319 Posts
well if its about 600 watt you should probably use about 8 guage wire, the rem terminal goes to your head units antenna turn on wire, basically, it turns on the amp, this is a positive wire just for extra info, but dont conect it to your positive wire for you amp, you would drain your battery even if you car was off. Also, always go with 12 guage wire for your subs, you cant go wrong there.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: fuse

bagged90SC said:
P=I x V, power (watts)= current (amps) x voltage(volts)

you got a 500 watt amp so divide 500 by 12. you'd want a 40 amp fuse.

The remote turn on wire is nothing more than an ignition activated wire. It should be blue on your headunits wiring.
You'd be fine with a 40 amp, you're correct. But in saying 500 divided by 12 you're not taking into the inefficieny of audio amplifiers. On a typical Class D you'll be around 70 to 80% efficient. Class A/B even less. So if you have say a 500 watt amplifier like you're saying, to put out full 500 it's going to actually need somewhere around 55 to 60 amps if it was 75% efficient.

-Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts