TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread for two reasons.

1: I would like to know how much roughly all this stuff will run, since I keep coming up with numbers waaaay higher than what I've been told they should be.

2: So future members who want the same things know where to look and what to expect to spend. (some of the prices I've seen on the member's website so I can fill those in)

03 or comparable 4r70w tranny
03 explorer motor
3.73 trac loc or higher rear
DD converter (my preference is the 9.5 inch billet 3800-4200 stall) - @ $1k
J-Mod 300-450 HP
93 tune (and is this as good as a dyno tune)
SVO blower
Methanol injection
Underdrive pulleys
30# injectors
I have a 95 car so ... 96 + fuel rails
255lph fuel pump

That should about cover it besides the bracing, interior, exterior mods etc. (that's personal taste imo)

But this list, from what I've seen will produce a 12 sec or faster MN12 everytime.

I live in NC so all this work is sort of directed towards Robert P. and my fellow NC members.

I have priced all of this individually and come up with @ 7k worth of mods here - I've been told it can be done for a lot less, so to help me and others save up for these mods if they so choose to.

Roughly how much would you say that list is worth and what would you charge to do all the work Robert?

I saw you say in another post you like to do things your way or not at all. I've seen your work first hand, and I have absolutely no problem with that. That's why this is kind of directed towards you.

Thanks ahead of time for all your time, effort, and opinions on this thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
JATO units for the trunk?

RwP

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

RwP
I know I'm fairly new, but I just went through the entire freakin acronym thread and I can't find JATO - :bangwall:

What does it mean please and ty. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts

RwP
I know I'm fairly new, but I just went through the entire freakin acronym thread and I can't find JATO - :bangwall:

What does it mean please and ty. :confused:
Jet Assisted Take Off (JATO).

The military uses it on some of their aircraft (Think C-130) to get them in the air quickly on a short runway. And no, you don't need one of those. Ralph is pulling your chain. :tongue:

However .... they would look really cool going down the dragstrip. :D

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/97rSobuKBxI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/97rSobuKBxI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ORXv_1XlDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
I'm starting this thread for two reasons.

1: I would like to know how much roughly all this stuff will run, since I keep coming up with numbers waaaay higher than what I've been told they should be.

2: So future members who want the same things know where to look and what to expect to spend. (some of the prices I've seen on the member's website so I can fill those in)

That should about cover it besides the bracing, interior, exterior mods etc. (that's personal taste imo)

But this list, from what I've seen will produce a 12 sec or faster MN12 everytime.

I live in NC so all this work is sort of directed towards Robert P. and my fellow NC members.

I have priced all of this individually and come up with @ 7k worth of mods here - I've been told it can be done for a lot less, so to help me and others save up for these mods if they so choose to.

Roughly how much would you say that list is worth and what would you charge to do all the work Robert?

I saw you say in another post you like to do things your way or not at all. I've seen your work first hand, and I have absolutely no problem with that. That's why this is kind of directed towards you.

Thanks ahead of time for all your time, effort, and opinions on this thread.
Ok you asked. ...

Since I make no secret of what I've put into mine here's the numbers that I have.

Keep in mind that labor is going to be on top of all of these numbers and these numbers may have changed since I did my build two years ago. You'll also need to add about a grand for misc. parts.

• 03 or comparable 4r70w tranny - $531
  • 03 explorer motor - $850 + $58 sales tax = $908
  • 3.73 trac loc or higher rear - $150 for the gears and $200 for rob to put it together
  • DD converter (my preference is the 9.5 inch billet 3800-4200 stall) - @ $1k
  • J-Mod 300-450 HP - Rob sells the kits $110
  • 93 tune (and is this as good as a dyno tune) - Around $500
  • SVO blower - I think they're going for around $2,100
  • Methanol injection - $315
  • Underdrive pulleys - You don't use them with a blower otherwise they're $200
  • 30# injectors - Rob's got a set of 39# injectors for $140
  • I have a 95 car so ... 96 + fuel rails
  • 255lph fuel pump - $140
So, figure around 6k to 10k or more ...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyvm for the acronym clarification and the numbers. I guess my research was roughly correct after all.

Thanks TM - now I need to plant a money tree and all will be well :D

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I'm in for more then that.

Ok you asked. ...

Since I make no secret of what I've put into mine here's the numbers that I have.

Keep in mind that labor is going to be on top of all of these numbers and these numbers may have changed since I did my build two years ago. You'll also need to add about a grand for misc. parts.

• 03 or comparable 4r70w tranny - $531
  • 03 explorer motor - $850 + $58 sales tax = $908
  • 3.73 trac loc or higher rear - $150 for the gears and $200 for rob to put it together
  • DD converter (my preference is the 9.5 inch billet 3800-4200 stall) - @ $1k
  • J-Mod 300-450 HP - Rob sells the kits $110
  • 93 tune (and is this as good as a dyno tune) - Around $500
  • SVO blower - I think they're going for around $2,100
  • Methanol injection - $315
  • Underdrive pulleys - You don't use them with a blower otherwise they're $200
  • 30# injectors - Rob's got a set of 39# injectors for $140
  • I have a 95 car so ... 96 + fuel rails
  • 255lph fuel pump - $140
So, figure around 6k to 10k or more ...

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
Start with the J-mod and a modified Maurauder converter - they're like 2,800 stall. I started with this converter and then traded up to the one I have now. I highly recommend going this route.

Get the gears and track lock and get your suspension in shape.

As money becomes available then look at

The PI Swap and Exhaust

Save the SVO, meth injection and the big converter for last.

I'm in for more then that.
And you're still slower than me. :tongue:

How ya doing up there? Tell Matt I said hi. :wavey:

Well, if we're comparing budgets ... yea, I'm in for way more than that too. You're just looking at the tip of my budget iceberg. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
9,188 Posts
Well, beats the price of car payments over the years! It's like having had a $190 monthly car payment since you've owned the car. :)

And I'm probably being very generous with myself, but if I get the HP I'm hoping for with my headswap (280-290), with a little more gear and good tires... I'd estimate my times in the low 13s or high 12s. I'll do the math on it later, but if I added all the 'go fast' stuff together it'd be around 5k at least. It's too late for me to be looking at such big numbers. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
Well, beats the price of car payments over the years! It's like having had a $190 monthly car payment since you've owned the car. :)

And I'm probably being very generous with myself, but if I get the HP I'm hoping for with my headswap (280-290), with a little more gear and good tires... I'd estimate my times in the low 13s or high 12s.
lol

That's a great way to look at it. I've saved a ton in car payments over the years and my insurance is super cheap since I'm just driving an old grocery getter Tbird. ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just because it's late and I've searched a lot today - Rob says that a friend of his has a mark VIII converter and flexplate - would that be as good as a marauder or just hold out for the marauder converter?

Well looks like I skipped one of your steps TM lol - I already have the exhaust for a N/A car my exhaust should be fine - until I join the SVO club :D

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
I'm not sure what the Mark VIII converter stalls at. I'm sure it's better than the stock converter. It's your call.

Have you talked to Alan about a Marauder Converter? May be you could buy Darrens Marauder Converter when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good call on both I will do that - will need the flexplate as well - I will look into it thanks again TM

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Just because it's late and I've searched a lot today - Rob says that a friend of his has a mark VIII converter and flexplate - would that be as good as a marauder or just hold out for the marauder converter?

Well looks like I skipped one of your steps TM lol - I already have the exhaust for a N/A car my exhaust should be fine - until I join the SVO club :D
I almost bought that converter. I just don't have the money right now to be spending on car parts I don't NEED, especially when school is starting back up and I don't have my financial aid right now. :( Although, I am tempted to let VISA pay for it...for now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And, and this is completely your call, you may want to stop the vehicle after the quarter mile. Better brakes should be in order.
:uppoint: Good point, but who thinks about stopping lol - Especially when you just spent the last 12 seconds or less (hopefully) with your right foot buried in the carpet. :D

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I'm not sure what the Mark VIII converter stalls at. I'm sure it's better than the stock converter. It's your call.

Have you talked to Alan about a Marauder Converter? May be you could buy Darrens Marauder Converter when it comes out.

FYI Alan takes the MCs back as cores ;)

Also TJ your forewarned about this new "Drug" Its addictive:zwall: LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
I know. He took mine as a trade in / trade up towards my current converter. He'll tear it down, check it out, refresh it if anything needs replacing, seal it back up and sell it.

So, TJ, you'll need to talk to Alan about it. I'm sure he'll take good care of you. The modified Marauder is one of the best, most affordable, converters you can get.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts