TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got her started after a head gasket change and many hours in the cold. I immediatly had coolant in the oil and she overheated.

Suggestions before I scrap this POS.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
often when it blows th HGs, the heads and or block will warp. if you didn't have them checked, I'd bet that's your issue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep. Heads are prolly warped. Mine got checked and decked.

Just remembered... if you had your heads checked and they were fine or milled, its possible you have a crack in the block. The heads wouldnt be cracked, because any reputable shop will pressure check em first before they mill em.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
or could be a leaking lwoer intake manifold gasket, or any other variable. Try doing a compression check.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heads were checked by a very good shop. Im sure they are OK.

I know the block was overheated pretty good before I got my hands on the car. When everything was apart it looked good. I wonder if I gambled to much trying to use it. Im going to do a compression check, replace the lower intake gaskets tomorrow or Sunday along with the T-stat.

Something that I found odd was that after a half hour the temp gauge still read hot when I turned the key forward, the coolant was as cold as the outside temp. (~20*) The block was cold too. Makes me wonder if it really overheated as bad as the gauge said. The reservoir tank didnt overflow and the rad was cool to the touch.

I know the Tstat is good, I checked it in boiling water before it went in. Ill replace it anyway.

I was talking to 93SC and he mentioned that the oil passages could have had a large amount of coolant in them and that caused my milky oil condition.

Im a little confused by this. Is there any other place it could leak besides the head gaskets and lower intake.

·
8,978 Posts
yeah I saw your finely worded post on thundercats :)

Anyways, after a headgasket change there could still be milky gunkiness in the oil passages in the block from when the coolant was in the oil when the HG's first blew. You can try putting a can of seafoam into the oil and see if that clears it up, or empty the oil and put in tranny fluid. The atf is a detergent and will clean nearly anything out of a block. Run it only up to operating temperature, do not drive it, then empty it and fill it with oil. You'll want to do another oil change within 200 miles of the new oil too, just to make sure all the atf is out of there.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. So compression checks out. Its about 150-157 all around. If I remember right that is about where it should be, on average.

I started it again to hopefully get a feel for what is wrong. It seems that the cooling system isnt pressurizing. Still getting an air bubble and "overheating". It has a new Tstat and radiator cap. I opened opened up the vent plug and the coolant looked slightly milky.....Im going to guess that the milkyness is leftover residue. It wasnt horrible....

I drained the oil after my second change. It looks good.

I pulled the lower intake and am replacing the lower gaskets tomorrow. What are the toque specs on them? I want to make sure Im right.

Any other suggestions?

** I really want to add the cam now but dont want to do all that work and find out Ive wasted even more time. Guess Ill wait till spring. I had the lower off in under 15 minutes. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
POS car.

Changed the gaskets. No go.

Radiator is leaking, I hope that is why Im having these problems. That is the last thing Im going to replace, after that its up for sale or parted. What a waste of my time. Im miss my 4.6. :(

·
8,978 Posts
oh come now, you just have bad luck with mn12's in general, 4.6 or 3.8 :D Once you get your new 4.6 you'll be bright as rain.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:). If you knew what the bill looked like you probably wouldnt bet on me being happy about that 4.6. Thats one of the reasons Im getting frustrated with this car. Its turning into much more of a project than I wanted and my money is tied up elsewhere.

It has one more chance. After that Ill thank it for playing and wish it on its way. Id hate to do it but thats life.

·
8,978 Posts
well I cant convince you either way, but best of luck to you....

first dibs! :D Oh, and I might be interested in that cam you have if you ever want to get rid of that as well. What were the specs on it again?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vulture. Ill let you know, it will be on UMTC first.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried to drain the coolant to change the radiator out. The previous owner must have used 3 bottles of stop leak. It was trickling out of the petcock and what did come out looked horrible...even after a coolant change.

Now the system pressurizes. :) But Im stuck with what I think is an air bubble. I changed the routing of the heater core lines....you guys think that has anything to do with this issue? I have tried the cooling system sticky procedure. That wont get it out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
241 Posts
next time you fill, raise the front of the car up and open the rad cap. fill from the vent plug, being that its the highest point on the cooling system. when you cant fill from there anymore, fill from the rad cap and work out the bubbles by squeezing the lower rad hose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts