TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I where to buy a 96-97 (pref. 96) V8 bird and install a 99+ GT or a new explorer V8 along with a manual trans, about how much money is involved in that kinda project? Do you need a new EEC to run the engine? I do want another bird, but it's gotta be faster than my old one was.

thanks

Earl

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Had you done a :search: ??? There are many who had done an explorer swap amd few done stick swap... I dont know much about doin a stick swap, but an explorer swap will run you about 1800-2000, tranny another 2k or so....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm researching the explorer swap myself.

It is an all aluminum motor so you get the hp increase (~ 30 - 40) and ~75 lbs off the front end.

In a 96 it would be cheaper for you, as you will have almost everything you need except for a 94/95 front cover and some gaskets (use the 96 throttle cable, fuel rails, injectors, fuel lines, intake tube, wiring harness, coil packs, EEC). So, I would estimate less than $1500 for the engine swap. This of course depends on which of the 96 parts you re-use vs. new parts. As far as being a tuff engine, ask TimB, he's got a SC on his.

Sorry, can't help on the tranny part.

rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts