TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody ever tried doing a home based business and succeded?
i know i've never met anyone personally(except maybe from "amway",but maybe he was full of it too).i must lead a sheltered life-NOT-because according to all these sure fire bussiness schemes of which there are too many to count,there are so many people making a killing on these businesses that you think you would run into or maybe know someone who knows one or has a relative whose into it.
everything is changing and there is probably only a handfull of things that will work. if i could just get some insite from somebody who knows somthig about something. i'm sure it would'nt be too hard to get a grant or a first time business loan but i know you need a plan before you can talk to anybody.
can ya feel the fustration?:bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Drug dealers are probably the most successful home business going.... :zwall:

There is a LOT of things to consider about running your own business, especially if you want grants and/or loans. You will need to prove to those with the money that you are trained and/or experienced in managing a business.

Then factor in that you'll be married to the business for the first 3 - 5 years, your income will vary week to week, etc..... :beek:

There are a lot of things to be said for paid vacations, knowing what your paycheck will be week to week, etc. :D

But there are a lot of things to be said for being your own boss, doing things right vs. cheapest, seeing your income directly proportional to your hard work (usually), etc. :thumbsup:

I feel your pain!! I not only work for the man, I work for THE MAN and he's my Uncle....(Uncle Sam that is) :D

However.... I’ll be off work today at 1330 through 0600 02 June… and it will only cost me 27 hours of paid vacation… my check won’t change. Which makes up for the daily BS… :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drug dealers are the scum of the earth,we wont go there.
i understand that you need a plan of action such as what it is your interested in first of all.
a portfilio of what it will cost for licenses,insurance, inventory if you want one,projection on what it will cost annually to operate,loction, maket ability...etc ect ect
i was considering a self storage for peoples seasonal toys or just access BS that they don't have room for but don't want to part with.
plus a successful business has it's own rewards especially when your done raising kids and you and momma can marry it together.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't know about that, they seemed to have helped make my life more interesting. I always saw it the other way around; the scum of the earth are the ones who believe they deserve to live because they are perfect and holy in all ways and never messed up in life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Find something everybody wants or needs and sell it at a reasonable price. That's how Bill Gates started out. Nobody else sold a home based operating system, so he took advantage of it. Its even better if you dont have competition. Then you can jack your prices up.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
I wouldn't say that. They exploit a weakness that other people have to make money off of it. Certainly that isn't the most honorable thing to do, but it isn't the scum of the earth either. Both the drug dealer and the drug user come to an agreement that one will sell certain goods to the other at a certain price, and both parties think they walk away happy. In reality the money probably doesn't buy happiness for the drug dealer, and the drugs don't provide happiness for the user, but this just means both parties are ill-informed and made bad choices, not that they are the scum of the earth.

That title should be reserved for politicians!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Drug dealers are probably the most successful home business going.... :zwall:
its great until you get shot if the face over some crack or thrown in the slammer with bubba

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Had my own business and I won't do it again. I had a customer that wanted me full time, so enough regular hours was not any problem. Health insurance was the biggie, if you are covered by your spouse or retired military you might consider it. You have to pay double social security and that adds up. I was paid on invoices so could not cheat the tax man. Most people that can do good are in retail with cash sales. Some of the cash sales are pocketed, so no social security or taxes on that and it reduces your profit. I have known several in retail businesses and they all did it.
Then you need to consider no sick pay, vacation, holidays, or 401k match if you get those. With most companies you get 2 weeks sick, 2 weeks vacation, and 2 weeks of holidays. When you work for yourself you are on your own and you just seem to work more hours.
It might sound tempting to be your own boss, but it comes with a price.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Hell yea man, this fall I start NKU for teaching Social studies. I always figured it's kick ass to teach people what America used to be about. Freedom in all aspects of life.
just remember, its not freedom you want, its liberty.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
One Nation, under Dog, invisible, with dignity and hospice in the mall. Or something.

Anyway, I think the key to your own business is the following:

Step 1: Come up with a product or service that people will want.
Step 2: Create a business model for delivering and marketing that product or service.
Step 3: Work your a$$ off networking and getting the word out.
Step 4: Profit.

Many people try to do it like this:

Decide to be own boss; stay up all night thinking up a half-a$$ed scheme to get rich and work at home; spend a lot of money on things to "get the business off the ground", and then finally, fail miserably with a lot of debt.

FWIW, the second scenario is the one that you want to avoid. If you don't have a good idea for something that people will want to pay good money for (more than once), and most of the time if you're not already making some money doing that, then you should NOT quit your day job to explore the freedoms of working at home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts