TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've pretty much come to the realization that the only way I am going to get the spoiler that I want for my 'bird is to make one myself. What I want to know is, has anyone had experience in this area? I've read some basics on making a mold, shaping, etc... and it doesn't sound too hard, just a lot of time involved. I am not opposed to spending the time needed if I can get the spoiler I want made up and make it look good on the car. Any input would be great.

Jay

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wiz is the fiberglass man, although i think now hes working in some medical place, he has helped me alot, and i have learned alot on my own, and continue to learn.

Getting the shape you want is going to be pretty easy, the hard part is makign it durable, use GOOD glass! Youll want to go to a local parts store(i go to carquest) And get some good quality mat, to start with, and start messing around with that. And the better quality mat you use the less of it you will need.

To start messing around with get some cheapo mat form lowes, and make a few things.

I can help you out a bit, the best way is to practice though, and you ahve to be patient, which is hard for me,lol. But once you see a final product, it makes you feel good.

Soon Ill be starting my hood, i always wanted to buy one, but if i can make my own, then ummm why spend $500 on one?? :D

Also see glassmans custom forums(<--something like that) they are all about fiberglass, a great place to learn.

Tyler

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That should get me going in the right direction. I've just been staring at numerous wings avail. for this car, and realized that none of them really follow the lines of the car very well. Sure, the Xenon lip spoiler is close to what I want, but I would still modify it, so I figure I might as well build my own. Who knows, maybe if it turns out good enough, I could have a company make them for us. This is a long shot, but you never know.

Time to start on the mock up so i can get the general shape down...

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I got good at making them, and it's something someone else would want, then I may consider it. For all I know, once I actually get mine made, it may be ugly to everyone else, and no one will want it. I'm not going for "ricer", or "nascar", just a modified lip spoiler with a little rise, and little better match for the lines of the car. Gonna get some foam or something so I can start to shape a mock up and see how I like it. If it looks like crap, then I try again. Sure, I could buy a spoiler for $200, but then it would look like everyone else's. I've seen enough "trends" around here, and thought this would be my chance to make something unique for my bird.

I might actually start tonight, so if I get anything made up, I'll shoot some pics so I can get some feedback from everyone. Never hurts to have constructive criticism.

Jay

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Fiberglass is a pain in the butt at first. Once you get the hang of it, it's not as bad. Just make sure to wear gloves (!) and a breathing mask. And practice on something else besides your car before you do the real work. It's not beyond anyone's ability, just take your time.

The most important thing: Plan what you're going to do before you do it! And stick to the plan!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you want some good advice, go to a boat shop/store. I go to West Marine, they have really good fiberglass tape and mats and as many different kinds of resins and hardeners as you can think of. The one I go to has some pretty knowlegable guys and they are always willing to help. I'm going to be doing some repairs this weekend on my trunk and I'll write my experience on it once I'm done.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts