TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a local 97 Sport come up, Red, 120k miles on it, I'm offering 2500$ max...

Worth it to anyone else? I'm thinking its a pretty good deal for a Daily Driver!

Anyone care to chime in on me here?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a 95 4.6L V8 before, did a few mods like Mustang Tranny, etc but I'm tired of these small *** import cars and want to get back in Big Bertha again! :)

The question was, was the asking price too high for that mileage?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
id shop around alittle more. there have been tons of cars for sale lately on here, and you might be able to find a good deal on ebay.

·
8,239 Posts
keep shopping you can get one for lower mileage for cheaper.

I know its nuts, but these cars aren't worth anything.

Thats a good thing btw.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need something local, I don't have time to fly across the country or hope I get a good deal on ebay - this is perfect because I spotted the problems up front and the dealership is going to fix them for me.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm deciding to go for it, I'll plan on putting a nice engine in it down the road anyways...

Pictures of it...

The only thing I noticed was the O/D light was blinking which I told the salesman is a big nono, he said he would have it fixed.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
so you gave them 4k for it?!?! i paid 4k for mine two years ago with 35k on the clock. you should have kept looking.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm giving them 2500 for it

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
ya know just for *****s and giggles i checked on ebay and there are some nice birds on there right now. 97 limited for 3500, 93 supercoupe stick for 4000, and thats just looking for 2min.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...

But!

1) I know the condition of this one, it's backed with a dealership that I know the owner of, so anything and everything's getting fixed before I buy it.
2) The car's local, it's got heat and ac, I know it works and runs fine and doesn't have any problems.
3) I dont have to fly half way acorss the world to find a tbird thats junk when I get there and waste my time and money.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
bought mine off of ebay and havent had any problems with it, and i didnt fly anywhere to go get it. paid the dealer to ship it to my door for me.

anyway, not my money so......................

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt a dealers going to ship a car for 2500 when shippings close to 1k lol...and if you didn't look the car over you're in trouble because there are always problems with any used car they arej ust hard to find.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
been driving it like a madman for two years now and its never left me on the side of the road, just like every other ford i've owned.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fact of the matter is that my dad's not going to co-sign a loan for that, even now, he's going to tear the car apart looking at the current one which is good, because I need something that's reliable. My old tbird was and I plan to do the same for this one.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you like it and they will fix what you identified and take your price - go for it. Dealers usually give you a 30 day warranty also in case you find anything else which is why they usually send old high mileage stuff to the auction. Sure, you can keep looking and find a better deal somewhere.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's a good local deal. If I found one like that around here i'd be all over it. Plus like you said, by the time you pay travel, and all thel ittle quirks of a possible long distance one, you're actually saving yourself time and heartache. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well at 6:00 I go to to the dealership today to sex the car up...I mean check the car over.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
EPelezo said:
The only thing I noticed was the O/D light was blinking which I told the salesman is a big nono, he said he would have it fixed.
You had better find out what codes it stored, and not just trust them to "fix it".
They're just gonna reset the light, and send it out the door. You have NO waranty, and no recourse when the same problems come up again-no matter what they're promising now. Dealers are lying scam artists,and don't care about anything but selling units and the bottom line profit...every one I've known or dealt with over the years would have sold their mother out to a pimp to sell a car-they have no soul,and should not be trusted.
JL

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've checked over every part of the car so far...

The O/D light only happens at random times, nothing in patricular...the converter locks and unlocks as it should.

The car shifted at I think 4800 from First to Second and then 5k from Second to Third, it's been a while so I don't remember if that was right, it was right before red line so I think it is.

Full on throttle, it felt just like my tbird did, laid you in the seat for the torque it has compared to my rx7 that I was driving.

The power steering pump had a little noise to it, nothing like a squeal but I remember my tbird having the same noise when i turned the wheel at idle, it's just the wheels turning on the ground.

The radiator hoses are brand new so thats a good sign, at least someone cared about it that much.

The only thing I said to the salesman is that I want the O/D light fixed and I want a print out of the work done and I also want the bulb changed out in the dash so I can see my oil pressure :)P) even though I can do both I would prefer them to do when I'm paying higher than normal value for the car.

My dad went up there with me, my dad was the worlds worst, he managed to look at everything, overall he was impressed with the car so that must tell me something.

Off to the dealership monday to start the paperwork on it...I'm going to make sure and change all the fluids that need to be changed, etc when I get it and do a full tune up...which seems to be already done but I'd like to do it anyways just to be certain.

- Eric

1 - 20 of 26 Posts